Browser War. Pcworld test to see who is the best browser. Guess who won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, try running a FLASH movie with the transparency parameter on. You'll see bug number one.

Then of course there's the whole layers issue. Layers in IE, guaranteed to be the same every load. Layers in Firefox...I feel like I'm shooting craps with a three sided dice.

How about posting some kind of link where this is an issue. We Firefoxians would like to see this for ourselves.
As far as FireFox not being able to use new technology it is probably because the technology is DESIGNED this way. This is the whole reason MS is in hot water with monopoly charges. FireFox is open source and yes will have its flaws. Flaws are one thing but being ATTACKED on a regular basis is another. IE has serious flaws and patching every week is not an option for me. Fix the problem already.

Not meaning to waste your time. Just trying to help others get off the IE game.

I recommend downloading Opera 7.54. The final version. The v8 Beta still has some bugs, but it has some very good new features worth checking out.

yup, downloaded 7.54 and it works great. i'm gonna start using it for a couple of days and finalise my decision of using firefox or opera.

Check out the skins and mousegestures. Customize your bars and panels. Go here: file://localhost/C:/Program files/Opera/Help/mouse.html

my P4 browser is good for casual use... it more compatable than my AMD browser but cost a lot to obtain and maintain.

but my AMD browser needs more cooling b/c i can't currently OC it... it already tends to run hot. but it's a bit better for gaming, as long as it's not a FPS java... i still don't have that plugin yet.

my friend just got a Celeron browser and he's tweeked it out and OC'd it and everything... it's faster than my P4 and my AMD browsers

Roshi229 said:
my P4 browser is good for casual use... it more compatable than my AMD browser but cost a lot to obtain and maintain.

but my AMD browser needs more cooling b/c i can't currently OC it... it already tends to run hot. but it's a bit better for gaming, as long as it's not a FPS java... i still don't have that plugin yet.

my friend just got a Celeron browser and he's tweeked it out and OC'd it and everything... it's faster than my P4 and my AMD browsers

Roshi!
What are you talking about??? AMD browser?:p

Roshi229 said:

i'm just fed up with everyone saying Firefox and Opera are so wonderfull, like the code was written by a supernatural being... or they are packaged in gold!!!

No. It was just made by somebody who cares

Roshi229 said:
it's nothing revolutionary!

No. but it works

The Rage - Roshi!
What are you talking about??? AMD browser?:p
Roshi made a parody on this conversation, alluding to the similarities between browser preference arguments and processor pref arguments.
The Rage - How about posting some kind of link where this is an issue. We Firefoxians would like to see this for ourselves.
You don't need links, dude. Do it yourself. Take a FLASH movie, put it on a page with the transparency parameter, and watch the Firefox get skinned.

So now, instead of being able to use the wonderful tools provided by FLASH...we have to not only include the normal, simple code...but a whole slew of javascript and graphics-magic workarounds (sucking up bandwidth, file size, and time) to get the same simple task to work in Firefox...and it still won't work. But that's okay...no one uses FLASH, do they? There's no need to support the FLASH file perameters, or the actionscripting. Who would want that?
The Rage - As far as FireFox not being able to use new technology it is probably because the technology is DESIGNED this way. This is the whole reason MS is in hot water with monopoly charges. FireFox is open source and yes will have its flaws. Flaws are one thing but being ATTACKED on a regular basis is another. IE has serious flaws and patching every week is not an option for me. Fix the problem already.
DHTML, CSS, XML, SWF, etc, were developed by MS?

Also, the IE browser...is very good. If you'll notice, many of the high-touted viruses and security problems passing through the so-called "IE Realm," are impacting ActiveX, or users with out of date ( or no ) AV/F security. The IE browser is often mistakenly blamed for problems that are not its fault.

If you turned off ActiveX for IE, you'd find that IE is just fine for security. With ActiveX turned on, you'll probably want a firewall and a good AV...but that's just smart practice no matter what broswer you use (...unless yer on like...an Amiga or something...)

And don't go all blitz about updates and patches. First off, there isn't some flood of patches coming in like the press/rumor-mill would make it seem. Second, IE has that nice automatic update feature with Windows, so you can just monitor but don't have to do any work or actively go search the Microsoft site to see if there was an update. Windows does that for you.

Don't know about you, but that's just awsome.

The point of my argument here is that I don't want a browser that isn't working fully with today's technologies (most of which weren't developed by MS and are open-source and available widely on the web). Then there's the whole clearly-apparent turn-around MS is making about their security policies, which is moving in the right direction but no one seems to care that they're changing their ways. Then there's the part about MS usually being on the leading edge of new technologies...which I don't have to wait around for some black-hole OS folks to hash out.

The Rage - Not meaning to waste your time. Just trying to help others get off the IE game.
Why would they want to leave IE? IE is there in the flow of business/corporate IT, it's easy to update, works well and clean with new tech and code, it's easy to use, works seamlessly with my environment, and when I'm using IE I don't feel like I'm part of some 60's era left-wing neo-nazi extremist-user group hell bent on sanctifying "the man."

And MS can't help that it's efforts and provisions have provided for an environment well suited for the corporate/business community (their money market) that has yet to see a comparable act worthy of wrestling the majority.

But let's not lose site of why we're having this argument...(Or, at least, why I started arguing...[so no-one comes screaming out of the woodwork claiming I've started a flame war because they've forgotten how this argument started and just have a pension for being banned] )

What me, and Roshi, and a couple others floating around are saying, is that Firefox is fine...it's cool...it's well built, yes...but it's not this almighty god app that solves all problems and can do all the things IE can. And if Firefox is just going to turn into another MS basher soapbox, it'll fade away like all the rest.

Insulting, boasting, and bandwagon-shouting, have never been good ways to promote a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom