PSU question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugh, i now feel somewhat ripped off, i went back to newegg, even though everything is already ordered, and discovered that the case i am buying comes with a 420w psu for $59 more than the one without, and that thermaltake sells a 480w silent purepower through newegg for $56.50! what should i do? I have everything from original package, but it was a relative who ordered me the case thru their credit card. is there any way i can return the case and ask newegg to give me credit so i can get the 480w and case seperately? or will it really not be worth the trouble?

oh btw the specs are

athlon 64 3500+
geforce 6800gt
corsair 1gb
120gb hd
cdrw/dvd drive
cordless mouse/keyboard
vga cooler
asus mb
soundblaster audigy 2

I think newegg only exchanges parts, no refunds or credits, but you could by all means try and contact them and work something out.

Anyways, for your system, I'd reccomend bare minimums at:

400 watt
12v @ 18 amps
5v @ 30 amps

However, I will say your system will do much better under a 450 watt or greater power supply, with 24 amps on the 12v rail, and 40 amps on the 5v rail.

My Aspire 520 Watt PSU reads 35 Amps on the 12+ rail. Never had problems with it yet. I recently owned and got rid of a PSU claimed to be 450 Watts but the Amprage on the 12+ rail was only 15 Amps. I don't know much about PSU's but I do know that that thing was incapable of running and sustaining power to this small system.

Intel P4 1.6Ghz
ASUS P4V8X-X Mobo
1 GB Generic PC3200
1 Segate 60GB HD
2 Optical Drives
GeForce FX 5200 128 MB
SB Live
2 80mm Fans
1 Light

From http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ calculations, I should have needed only a minimum of 300 Watts, and yet the claimed 450 Watt PSU could not keep up with it. Anyways long story short, I wouldn't recommend using the PSU that comes with the case if your running a higher end system. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. All I know is when I pulled that PSU out of the case and replaced it with a newer, more expensive one, the new one must have weighted at least 5 pounds more. They must put all that stuff in there for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom