Dusting your pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can damage a number of things (mainly on the mobo) by subjecting them to extreme vacuum forces. Not to mention that thumping around inside the box with a big vacuum nozzle isn't safe either.

Clean-rooms and laboratories don't clean their machines that way. They use compressed air to blow the dust away to a low-pressure chamber (vacuum), behind the component.

I have a small vacuum cleaner that's used for cleaning dust between the keyboard keys. I used to clean the inside of my computer cause it's not that strong to mess up anything. My computer still works good and nothing went wrong. So thats my two cents...

The best way is to use the small cans of compressed air that you buy at a electronics store.

The problem with using large air compressors isnt the risk of getting a little moisture in the computer, if any it would be VERY little, and would evaporate almost instantly. The problem is that old air compressors build up small amounts of rust inside the tanks, and when you use a air nozzle some of those small chips could come off and damage small circiuts or something. This however is very unlikely. (I use my 5 gallon air compressor whenever I need to clean my computer.)

The problem with vacuums would be static electricity. Unless it is a very small vacuum made for cleaning computers, which I still wouldnt recomend. Large moderm vacuums can generate a large amount of static electrivity when sucking up a lot of dust, ect. They dont usually have an earth ground, and all the materials rubbing on the sides of the hose could kill your computer. The other problem that I can see would be you bumping your memory out of place or knocking a jumper off, or shorting a small jumper-header.

All-in-all for the home user, a small $2 can of compressed air should be your best idea.

Most people argree compressed air is the best way to clean dust out of your computer, but only use the compressed air outside or your floor will become considerably dustier.

but only use the compressed air outside or your floor will become considerably dustier.
?? Wha?

My computer is never dusty enough to the point where theres visible dust laying around the computer after blowing it out......plus I have carpet

The problem with using large air compressors isnt the risk of getting a little moisture in the computer, if any it would be VERY little, and would evaporate almost instantly. The problem is that old air compressors build up small amounts of rust inside the tanks, and when you use a air nozzle some of those small chips could come off and damage small circiuts or something. This however is very unlikely. (I use my 5 gallon air compressor whenever I need to clean my computer.)

I've been in the body shop business and i can tell you if you don't have a moisture trap on the line there is a HUGE risk of getting moisture to come out,and i don't mean a little bit like you say,i've seen whole paint job's on car's get ruined by water in the line.

Ive seen masses of dust in old pentium 1's and 2's and if i used compressed air inside my floor would be very dusty. The dust i see in older computers would get everywhere. I have carpet at well, but i guarentee you could see it.

lol thats freakin insane wayne. I've seen some really REALLY dustball type cases before, but none that caused it to be visible on the carpet. I suppose if the case was next to the floor and it was just piles of it, it could cover the floor

actually, I'd say vacuum is better (a SMALL vacuum, they make them designed for pc's with a soft brush at the end). Using compressed air blowing dust and foreign objects into areas they should NOT be, like connectors and slots.

Just go to your local Walmart, or Staples, and grab two canisters of compressed air, and just burn them up and it will all get out.
Yan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom