hard drive data recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
Can anyone recommend a good system, program, process for data recovery? I'm trying to make sure my disaster recovery process is working. Well.... I guess I need one first, but you know what I mean right.

I don't want a system or program that does not work after my hard drive fails.

Please say why one is beter than the other. And please give technical reasons, as to how it works.

thanks in advance

data recovery

Do you know if that can bring back an OS drive... meaning c:\ drive with my windows operating system?

I want to make sure I can back up my OS drive and put it back in place, if the drive fails or I have a problem.

Most backup programs do no work like that. They only "copy" a drive and the OS has registry settings, etc. They are many reasons why you can't just back up an OS drive and copy it to a newly formated drive.

mirror drives

The problem with RAID and mirror drives, is if something in your OS files gets corrupt or the settings get hosed (registry issues) or some "software" issue causes your OS to fail... something like the blue screen of death.

Your mirror drive is also hosed. The corrupt files get copied to the mirrored hard drive. In this situation, your still are in trouble.

Question though, can you set the RAID / mirror drive on a delay. For instance, copy the drive on a 2 day delay. So if the hard drive / OS fails, the bad stuff will not be copied over.

just thinking out loud
thanks

As far as I can tell, that is a valid point.

- Microbell, please correct me if I am wrong on this -

Unless there have been some advancements that I am unaware of, there isn't any way to delay writting the mirror or parity information (depending on the type of raid). Personally, I prefer the disk image route and dumping the image to a CDR (if possible). Downside? Any time you install new software you are burning a new image.

Alexander

Exactly... So is there any good solution out their for user-friendly, effective, effecient hard drive back up procedure?

It seems like there is always disadvantages to some back-up system. I guess the answer to my question is no...

You take the pros and cons of one data recovery / disaster recovery sytem and just deal with it.

I'm hoping eventually, some company can solve this problem.

Get a copy of Norton Ghost and back up your data every few days. This way if your hard drive craps out, you don't have to get the data off of it.

I wonder what it would take for a company to create a backup program or back-up process that allows you to:

1) control what directories, files, drives, etc to be back up
2) allows the "backed up" version or data to work on any hard drive.... just copy it on the drive and IT WORKS... it works for just plain data or it works for an OS drive
3) perform the back up procedure in a short amount of time
4) store the back up data on a server contected to the internet... (as in off-site storage)
5) do incremetal back ups or what ever you decide is best.

Well, that is my list of features for a "REAL" disaster recovery progoram.

That should cover everyone's needs and features.

.. to bad these features don't exist... in one product. I think they all exist in seperate products or back up services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom