Disk Boot Failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teelo

Baseband Member
I just installed a new motherboard, case, and processor on my computer. Everything was working perfectly until it tried to load the OS. I went through all the set-up and everything, I eventually changed the boot priority to "Hard-Drive, CDROM, Removable", and that didnt help any. I turned the comp off and made sure the IDE cable was secure in the back of the HD. All IDE cables are secure. Anyone know what I could possibly do to fix the problem? It says:

Boot from CD-ROM
Boot from CD-ROM
Disk boot failure, please insert system disk and press enter
_

Try to re-install again and see where that takes you. I had that problem a few days ago. Some how or another, my HDD got messed up while installing 1gb of ram. I just re-installed again.

What do you mean "re-install again"? What do you want me to reinstall? By install I mean I put it into the case, not actually gotton the OS to load or anything.

BTW I found a WinXP disk and put that in and had it boot from that, but now its not recognizing that I have a HD attached.

ok so now your saying that bios wont recognize your HD? Did the HDD come from a factory PC ie HP, dell, compaq?

The HD is an HP 120 GB that i have had for about 2-3 years. I put in the Windows XP disk and it starts loading all kinds of stuff and then i get to a point where it asks if I want to install windows or repair it. Either one I choose it instantly takes me to the next screen where it tells me it cant detect that a hard drive is connected to the PC. The only other idea I have is to make sure that in the BIOS the hard drive is defined and set as a hard drive. I couldnt imagine why it wouldnt be but oh well.

Teelo, first make sure the BIOS is recognizing the hard drive. If components are not recognized here you can be dang sure the XP install won't recognize them :) It seems like a jumper issue on your hard drive. Some reccomendations I can make are:

1) Ensure your BIOS is seto to AUTO for all your IDE devices. You should never have to touch that option unless the PC is REALLY OLD.

2) Try each jumper setting on the back of the drive untill it is recognized in the BIOS. Start with the left the work all the way down to the right. You want this to be the Master and on the Primary IDE channel since it has your OS.

3) Ensure your cables are plugged in correctly. The red part of the IDE cable should always face Pin1 or what I reccomend is it should always face the power plug.

4) Ensure the cable and power source are good. You know that the CD-ROM drive is being detected since it is trying to boot from it so try that IDE cable and power source.

5) I would reccomend setting the boot order to 1st-CD-ROM, 2nd-Floppy, 3rd-Hard Drive.

6) If none of that works try the hard drive in a differnt computer or try another hard drive in your current computer.

In the BIOS it says in my IDE devices 0 Master and 1 Master are my CDROM and DVDROM drives. No where in the BIOS does it say anything about my HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom