nForce3 vs. VIA... Chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My older ASUS board with nforce chipset was absolute junk. One of the reasons I hate ASUS because that was a horrible experience and the stupid 'tech support' was complete worthless idiots.

When I first bought my FX 5700 I go to put it in the system and it freezes when it gets to windows. I did about a week of troubleshooting and nothing worked.

ASUS's reply to my question......get a new video card....I said screw you guys and your crap motherboards, got an MSI board and the card worked like a champ.

the MSI had a VIA chipset. I don't know about now, but VIA was decent in the past, but each chipset had flaws. The nforce chipset tend to run pretty hot, and the NB's are never flat =/

ChipX, why is that the "dumbest post" you have ever seen? He was posting his opinion on what he thinks is wrong with his system which in turn happens to deal with the VIA chipset. So it's kind of a warning.

If you don't have anything useful to add don't post. Strike 1.

I have used both NForce and the VIA Chipsets old and new, and I have never had problems with any of them. The only reason I would specifically choose NForce over VIA, is that I think Nvidia makes it a little easier to update the chipset drivers.

Still kinda lost as to the differences between the two, but that's OK. I think I'm making a good choice with the MSI Neo2 Platinum. I'll look into nForce 4 though.

m3incorp said:
Why 2 gigs of generic RAM? I would rather use 1 gig of good quality RAM.
I thought about that. Everyone was telling me Crucial and Corsair were the best, but their prices were pretty high. So I compared the good Corsair RAM with some no-name brand, and they were pretty comparable. I see that the RAM I'm looking at is accessed at 3.2GB/sec. This and other specs compared to the more expensive Corsairs.

Then I remember someone telling me a long time ago -- so it may not even be relevant in today's RAM market, but I still recall it -- that RAM is basically made by only a few companies -- and they're all pretty good -- and it's resold by many brands. Does that make any sense? Is it close to being true? Or is there a good reason to spend a couple hundred dollars more for comparable (seemingly) RAM?

Even the reviews are glowing for the PQI brand. How bad can it be? ;)

Thanks for the input though. I've never built a system before, which is why I really like reading this message board. :) Same reason I'm reading Maximum PC, because I'm just learning all this stuff. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom