Can I erase a regular CD-R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roshi...frisbee CD's are lethal! If you're good (i did this) you can throw them straight and do some damage...especially with those cheap, sharp-edged mass produced ones. ;)

yea we throw em around our dorm all the time, someone makes a coaster and it gets tossed in the hall, I'm used to throwing cards so I chuck em pretty hard. They are hard to break with your hands but if you hit a wall you can shatter em, and the paint film crap comes off.

Lol, although these comments are humorous, why don't we get some tech-talk out of this question?

I mean, I know the basics of how a CD works, etc...
But I'd like to know what physically stops a CD-R from being re-written onto.

What is different about the writing layer on a CD-R than on a CD-RW? (For example, do the two different layers reflect light in a different way?). Why do these differences only allow one closed write to a CD-R, yet when using a CD-RW, it can be opened up again and re-written onto?

It would be very interesting to know.
TMT. :cool:

wongb18c - This thread is getting out of control
You seem new here, so I'll just say that...buddy...we ain't even TOUCHED out-of-control yet...

Anyway, back to technical and eraser...

In layman's terms, a CD is just like a record, only instead of carving vibrations into the disk, we're poking holes in it. Now, a CD-R (non rewriteable) is like a record made of stone. A CD-RW (rewriteable) is like a disk made out of clay. With the CD-R, once you punch the holes, you can't smooth them back out. With the CD-RW, you can.

Okay, that's really a chinsy explanation...but it's sorta true.

Now, as for destruction...I mean...erasing...

Take a CD, wrap it in a single sheet of newspaper (or printer paper), dowse it with vodka or whiskey, light it with a match, and throw it. It'll dissintegrate right before your eyes like Haley's comet on crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom