Browser War. Pcworld test to see who is the best browser. Guess who won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh you Firefox fans are gonna love this. i installed the trial, Opera. When i loaded it, i skipped all the introduction crud. i typed in a URL in the address bar, and my computer unexpectedly restarts! i try it again and it restarts again! anyone know why?

Napoleon said:
hmm...now i'm in a tough position. ppl say it's good, and some say it sucks big time. i guess there's no harm in just trying, so i'll see for myself. hope the interface is good...

This is the best advice. try it see if you like it.

every website I go to in firefox works fine. except windows update.
a lot of web designer use to design their sites for IE, but that is changing as they are realizing that people are using different browser now.

I once install XP on my machine, because I got a new mobo to replace the bad one. after I install it,I had to call microsoft number with my new installation id. while talking to the lady on the phone a pop up appear saying "warning from microsoft, You have the sasser virus. click yes to remove the file."

I am not stupid. I hit ctrl,alt, and del and ended the process. I didn't even click no or hover the mouse over it as I still could have got infected. after getting the new installation id I promptly installed my adware, antivirus, and firewall software. I then scan my computer. no virus. I would have had one if I clicked yes. the pop up would'nt came if I had IE in check with firewall

You guys that knock FireFox are talking out of your *#%. Obvious IE punks. FireFox will download anything you want it to? As FireFox is extremely customizable I'm sure this could be changed. Problem is it would cost $ for someone to configure.
I won't pretend to be an expert....like some here. FireFox hands down by far and away is BETTER than IE. No problems at all with multimedia plugins. I guess you have to KNOW what you are doing.

The Rage said:
You guys that knock FireFox are talking out of your *#%. Obvious IE punks. FireFox will download anything you want it to? As FireFox is extremely customizable I'm sure this could be changed. Problem is it would cost $ for someone to configure.
I won't pretend to be an expert....like some here. FireFox hands down by far and away is BETTER than IE. No problems at all with multimedia plugins. I guess you have to KNOW what you are doing.

because firefox has a download manager. you will be informed everytime something is download. nothing will ever be downloaded withut you knowing it. plus you are not stuck with the 2 downloads at time limit like IE. With IE, stuff can and will be downloaded on your computer without your knowlegde and in the background

picture this... what does Firefox download? answer: anything you tell it to.
this is bad news for a security admin.

I guess I should of quoted what I was referring to.
Us Firefox users know about download manager. Use in the business sector is what I was referring to.

Business sector of the Internet market is IE, hands down. Can't touch it.

As for downloads, you can control what IE does in the background. Besides, most of the hidden access-hacks are through the ActiveX controllers, which is not IE's fault, and is a downside to the power of ActiveX. If you turn off ActiveX, you'll find IE a lot more secure.

Although it's just a moot point if you're intelligent about your security. Use a firewall and AV, keep them up to date like you're supposed to, and you're fine.

As for Firefox...*sigh*...look, it's a neat and nice little browser alternative and a great place to send the MS bashers...but it ain't up to snuff yet.

I mean, try running a FLASH movie with the transparency parameter on. You'll see bug number one.

Then of course there's the whole layers issue. Layers in IE, guaranteed to be the same every load. Layers in Firefox...I feel like I'm shooting craps with a three sided dice.

With IE, I can take today's latest technologies, and the technologies of the past, write them into my pages, load them, and I know they're going to run and run the way I see them in my WYSIWYG. I can't say the same for Netscape, Firefox, Opera, etc. etc. After I get done making a page, I load it in IE, okay, happy, then go load it in Netscape/Firefox/Opera, sigh, and start working on workarounds to deal with the limitations of those browsers.

It's freaking annoying.

Plus if I want to do any Intranet/web-app work, it's gonna be IE hands-down anyway, so why bother?

Protect yourself.
Be smart.
Keep it simple.
Stop wasting my time.

Guess what Major! I switched to Opera. I LOVE IT!!!!!

The only prblem though it that it doesn't work with www.gmail.com but no problem b/c I set up Outlook Express to use it. And you're right Opera would have won if it were free.

The best part about it is its download manager. Simply THE BEST.

Get version 7.60 Preview2 or version 8 BETA and Gmail will work. I am glad you switched.

ShoobieRat, Dreamweaver MX 2004 has a browser check utility to check for compatability.

I currently use Firefox, I think it's a great browser
I also like Opera, but I didn't like that some pages didn't work (I had the same problem with gmail)
but now that the new version can, I might use it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom