What is a good Raid 0 speed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceyDeath23

In Runtime
I just set up a Raid 0 using 2 120gb Western Digital 7200 RPM HD's....i clocked them with a transfer rate of 81mb/s

Could anyone tell me if that is good or if they need some tweakin?

Is this an onboard RAID controller or is it in a PCI slot? Also, where are you transferring it to? If you are transferring it to a single hard drive on the same computer then you aren't really measuring it correctly.

Its an onboard controller....

And if u go to www.pcpitstop.com and run the test on your whole computer u can get a speed reading on your hd's my 200 gb IDE is at like 45 mb/s and my raid set are at 81mb/s

I got 63 MBps on my RAID 0. My setup is a PCI card with two 40GB Western Digital 2MB Cache drives. So it looks like your speed is pretty good.

If you want any faster, go SCSI. :D

Or go SATA w/ a pro. raid card. (which has been proven to be faster then SCSI).... However a nice raid card will cost you at least $500 for a descent one, and around $1500 for a really nice one.

potatohead said:
Or go SATA w/ a pro. raid card. (which has been proven to be faster then SCSI).... However a nice raid card will cost you at least $500 for a descent one, and around $1500 for a really nice one.

Depens on the drives read/write speeds. With an unlimited budget I wouldn't even bother to get SATA. With unlimited cash SCSI is the way to go. SCSI drives can last very very long without failing.

SCSI is an interface. It is true that in the past SCSI drive were the best . They also cost the most. Now it is debatable if they are the best, however they are still much more $$$.

potatohead said:

Doubt that since RAID card's speeds are limited by the PCI Bus. I have an old version of SCSI that is onboard that can do 160 MBps, and that is on ONE drive (no RAID involved).

SCSI is the best and anyone that thinks that SCSI is old, doesn't know anything about SCSI. SCSI has changed throughout the past 15 years and their speeds are unbeatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom