Adventures in DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily

Daemon Poster
Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but anyhoo... I've finally convinced my dad to get DSL, so we signed up with SBC Yahoo. We installed everything and set up a wireless network and it all works fine, except for two problems. One is that it's not very fast - barely faster than dial-up. The second is that whenever we pick up the phone or someone calls, the connection dies. I've tried messing with the filters and stuff but it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

well DSL works over the existing phone line but at different frequencies so i don't know why it should stuff up, what modem did they give you?

Cable internet is so much better than DSL

apokalipse said:
well DSL works over the existing phone line but at different frequencies so i don't know why it should stuff up, what modem did they give you?

Cable internet is so much better than DSL

What kind of modem... er, it says 2Wire on the side. That's about all I know.

I know, I want cable but it's too expensive.

You want to call your phone company. It sounds like the frequencies are bleeding over, which is why your geting disconnected. Have the phone company come out and test the lines.

check the way you set up your dsl filters and make sure your dsl modem isnt connected to a dsl filter. only the phones should have filters installed, otherwise yeah i would ask your dsl provider also

and ive heard that wireless is always slower, if you're using it on a laptop then maybe you should keep it wireless, but on a desktop PC it's so much better if you don't use wireless.

My dad called the phone company (after calling the dsl company, who told us to call the phone company) and started telling the person the problem, and the person told him to call the dsl company and then hung up on him. =/ But I guess I'll tell him to try them again.

Filters and everything are all right, I think... there's a splitter in the phone jack, with the filter and the dsl line plugged into it, and just the phone in the filter. I don't think it's the wireless network messing it up either, cause it was happening before the network was set up.

Thanks for your help guys. :)

I would call your DSL Company back up and make them stay on the phone or even your phone company! If they hang up, well, you need a new phone company cause they s**k! :eek:

I know, they do suck. It made me so mad! The lady was like, "You shouldn't call us for this, you should call the DSL company." And my dad goes, "Well, they told us to call y--" Click. Grrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom