reinstall win98

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks, yes i have a working pc. this whole mess started trying to network the two which was supposed to be real easy. i have an original 98 cd

I'd bet that it's the network card/network processes causing the problem

is the network cable pluged into a place on the motherboard or is it on it's own PCI card.

a PCI card will be a card pluged inot the pc in a PCI slot. to locate, look at the back of the PC and you should see a series of (typically) horizontal openings. they more than likely with have some sort of cover on them from the inside... they will be toward the bottom of the case and look kinda like a big vent of sorts. if the network cable is plugged in there, you will need to open the case and remove it. then when/if the pc boots correctly, you may download the drivers from your working PC and install them onto the "trouble" pc. then install the network card.

if you have ANY problems or questions, stop what you are doing and ask... someone should be onlin that can help you.

its a linksys wireless card plugged into the motherboard. i have a linksys router hooked up on the working pc. i don't have a cable in the hurt pc.

(to Roshi229 - you don't get STOP errors with win98!)

I'm repeating some of whats already been suggested but thought I would try to clarify it all for you :
My advice is b4 you do anything, remove any PCI cards from the system & unplug any external devices (external modem/router/hub, printer, scanner etc). Leave only the video card & drives. Trust me, you do NOT want USB devices connected either while installing windows.

If you have any onboard devices such as network card, sound card etc, you might want to disable them in the Bios.

Also, go into the Bios and DISABLE any Boot sector virus checking - most BIOS's have this and it can cause windows install to fail.

Perform the format & reinstall. You might want to use a normal copy of win98 instead of recovery disks especially if recovery disks install other software such as Symantec(Nortons) as well as windows.
If you still have BSOD errors, i would recommend you check your RAM using a utility such as memtest86 or pc-checkit etc. These are downloadable for free & load from a floppy disk.

You could also try restoring the BIOS settings back to defaults, although if you haven't messed with them, theres no reason why these should be a problem.

If windows installs OK this time, you can start re-enabling any disabled devices, then add any cards you removed back in. Finally, connect any external devices. BUT, do all of these ONE BY ONE, that way if one is causing a problem, you will know which one it is.

Samm said:
(to Roshi229 - you don't get STOP errors with win98!)

:::::looks away from his NT/winXP boxes embarrassed::::::: ;) oh well... at least the rest of my post didn't smell of my ignorance.

and suddenly it all comes back - no STOP errors with win98 - oh yeah it's been a while. sry

ew things to try. if 2 mem sticks try one then the other. also, if no usb kbd or mouse then right click on my computer, properties (system properties) and goto device manager and expand the system devices and delete the PCI Bus and restart. It should start and redetect ALL of the devices again (note, make sure you know where to path out for drivers, usually windows\, windows\system, and windows\system32 and also windows\system\inf

if it works, great (remove all USB devices and other extnernal first... also test to see if it works after removing these devices, if it doesn't proceed with the removal of the PCI bus) if not try disabling shadow cache in the system bios.

also list the details of you system hardware specs. because if its an older system you may need to install the MBD/PIIX drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom