Internet stops working even though bytes are getting through...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev269

Solid State Member
Hi,

Ever since I upgraded my computer parts and formatted, my broadband internet has stopped working properly and i keep getting 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' errors and nothing else seems to work either, not even msn messenger etc.

Sometimes if I refresh the page 3 or 4 times, then the page appears but usually in a different format like HTML in the Times New Roman font if you know what i mean.

The strange thing is that I am still receiving the bytes from my ISP as I can see in the connection status and there must be a connection as sometimes if I refresh the page then the site appears, so I'm thinking this could be something going on at my end.

I have no firewall running and I had Service Pack 2 installed, then i uninstalled it and put Service Pack 1, but the same thing keeps happening.

To fix the problem, I have to restart my computer but then the same problem happens afterwards. Just to add as well, after I tried installing firewall software, the computer crashed when I tried to connect to my broadband. I then uninstalled the firewall and it kept happening, so i had to do a system restore.

Thanks for your help
Kev

is this XP SP2?
have you tried to recreate the connection... checked router settings, update drivers for network card?

wireles or no?
do you have a firewall enabled?
windows firewall that you may not know about?\m/

im on SP1.

I use a PCI broadband modem, not USB. Its not wireless or anything, its connected straight to my phone line and ive been doing this for the last couple of years.

i checked the windows firewall and its turned off and no other firewall running.

the thing is that my internet only starts getting messed up after using it for a short while maybe an hour or 2 and before its starts messing up, its perfectly fine and everything works. So i dont think its anything to do with a firewall or anything otherwise nothing would work from the moment i connect.

i am still receiving bytes download and upload.

thanks

if you still have you installation CD run that sucker again, it might help (i had a similar problem, but it was w/ my router but i ran the cd again and it worked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom