reinstall win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgray

In Runtime
tried to reinstall win 98 with the 3 restoration disks that came with the system. all went fine until it got to : initializing data base for drivers and establishing plug and play devices etc. mesage. when it got to the plug and play part all stopped and the blue screen came up with this:a fatal exception has occurred at 0028:c14557cb. i can't get past that blue screen . whenever i restart it just gos back to that. it seems to be stuck in that installation segment. windows won't load. i can load in safe mode but i don't know what to do when i'm there. if i try to start the reinstall again it just gets to a certain point and freezes.is there hope for this situation? i'm ready to heave this thing.

the code you supplied does not mach any stop error codes. please try and locate on the BSOD (Blue screen of Death) a stop error code, unless this is a memory dump. a stop error code should be in this format 0x0000000A where 0=any whole number 0-9 and A= any letter or number

this code will hopefully shed some light on the situation.
also you will need to make sure that no plug and play devices are installed. remove all hardware not vital to the system for instalation. ie any extra pci cards, network cards, printers, PDA's anything that is not vital to the instalation of windows.
do not use any USB devices esp. mice and keyboards at this point. those can all be installed after we get the system stable.

Did you try to FDISK and the Format before you used your 3 cd's? You might want to try that first. Here is the bootdisk to make one:Bootdisk Click on Windows 98 OEM. There shouldn't be a problem with having your usb devices installed while reininstalling Windows.

this is the exact message:a fatal exception oe has occurred at 0028:c1454304. the current application will be terminated. press any key to terminate the current application. press ctrl+alt+del again to restart your computer. you will lose any unsaved information in all applications. press any key to continue.

The Fatal Exception errors related to 0E (that's zero E) are hard to track down

i've found information that running the (older) AMD K6-2 chips over 60ºC (140ºF) will produce a FATAL EXCEPTION OE ...0028:C0005338 IN VXD VMM(01)+00004338 (or similar) errors. So if you are running a K6-2 chip, it's another area to check!

If you are running with an AMD chip, you should also note that there have been quite a number of reports of a faulty L1 cache (the cache on the chip). Go into your computer's BIOS (see your handbook for instructions), and disable the Level 1 cache. If this resolves your problems, consider buying a new CPU.

Here's another short list of things to try:

1. Check to see if you have the latest drivers installed for your motherboard
  2. Check to see if you have the latest drivers installed for your video card
  3. turn off the external cache in BIOS
  4. replace RAM modules
  5. disable/uninstall/remove any network cards or modems
  6. reinstall the OS. Do a clean install, by formatting the drive/partition
    [/list=1]

A common cause for these error messages is faulty physical memory (RAM) on the computer. It is possible that you have had faulty RAM in your computer, without it affecting you. But because Windows 9x uses your memory in a different way, it is possible that the fault may show up.

For a more extensive explanation, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
  1. 138788
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=150314

Warez Monster said:
There shouldn't be a problem with having your usb devices installed while reininstalling Windows.

keep in mind this is windows98
USB was not perfected yet.
i have seen it cause (driver based) issues durring install

my biggest problem is i'm in over my head. i just don't know enough to pursue this thing to a remedy. there are just too many things to try and some i just get lost on the way. i just happen to have some time now so i'm trying to learn. the more i think i've learned the more there is. make any sense? every time i get a list of things to try i'm lucky if i can actually do one or two. i can't check to update drivers because i'm i safe mode. how do you turn off the external cach. i don't see any cache in bios

Id try trashing the recovery cds, format and install from a 98 full version cd, then get your drivers from the manufacturers website.

Well, let's take it one step at a time. We can get throu this.

How to Format

Just follow the steps one at a time, take your time. Do you have another pc to access the net incase you run into trouble? If you can, and do have trouble, don't do anythig, just post it and someone will walk you throu it. Do you have an original 98 cd?

that's right,
we are willing to help anyone, like yourself who is willing to learn.
and yes i know exactly what you're talking about... in fact we all do... no one person can know it all, so in fact the more we learn is only to learn more we don't know. ;) the key is to keep hacking away at it... and eventually you get to a level at wich you have a working knowlege of enough to get you by... that's the best most of us hope for...

don't be afraid to ask any questions... you have to learn them somehow some way.
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom