nForce3 vs. VIA... Chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceanb0rn

Baseband Member
I never gave much thought to system chipset on motherboards, but I was wary of VIA, because the other option was nVidia nForce3, which is standard on the MSI Neo2 mobo I'm looking at.

I found this on nVidia's page, but I'm missing something. Does this mean that the mobo, that part of how the system works at the most basic level, is handled in part by an nVidia chip? That's great, but I thought that's what the CPU was for, exclusively. I'm new in hardware, but I'm learning...

250gb what?

Planned system: AMD Athlon64 3500+, MSI Neo2 Platinum mobo, 2GB some generic PC3200 RAM, [brand undecided] 256MB 256bit GeForce 6800GT, 74GB SATA WD Raptor 10k RPM HDD, [brand undecided] 1x dual layer dual format DVD burner, case undecided.

ShoobieRat said:
Stay away from VIA if you can help it. The manuf.'s are idiots.

Thats a bit of a harsh statement.:(

Actually VIA is ok the KT800 And KT890 are actually pretty good. Other than those chipsets the rest are shit.

Yeah, VIA's alright...They just have a tendency to throw fits on soundcard and vidcard manuf's, which leads to events like the early days of the geforce3 cards where anyone with a VIA chipset was screwed for 6 months.

Yeah, I have a VIA chipset, and I am guessing thats the source of my poor X800 Pro performance, because my benchmarks are too high for it to be the card, and I have awesome memory. I can't think of what else it could be.

I would personally (and just have) go for a motherboard with one of the new nForce 4 chips on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom