Cpu Hsf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kison

Beta member
Hey all.

I had a problem with my old HSF and I had to replace it. For some reason, it was not cooling the CPU enough, and as a result of that, it would obviously over heat after some time.

I went out and bought another CPU fan + HeatSink, and replaced my old one with it. However, when I put it in, made SURE it was plugged into the motherboard, I would start my computer and it would crash, making a series of system beeps(HIGH, then LOW, then HIGH, then LOW, etc). USUALLY it would ONLY happen when Windows XP was trying to start up. However, sometimes it would crash before it got that far.

I switched back to my OLD fan and it started Windows up without trouble. I switched BACK to the new fan, and it would crash again when Windows tried starting up.

I switched back and forth one more time to be SURE that I did not make a mistake.

My Motherboard is an Epox, and the fan I was trying to use says:

AMD Socket A Processors Intel Pentium III and Celeron Socket 370 Processors.

Would that work with a Pentium 4 Processor? If not, I guess the fan I got was a bad one. :/

One last point, however, is that the fan DID turn on when I turned on my computer. It just seems like my computer did not like it after some time...

Any help = Appreciated greatly.

Well the only thing that'd cause that is the new HSF you got sucks and isn't dissipating heat as good as the original.

It says Pentium III because once you get to P4's then the cooling isn't adequate enough for the extra heat a P4 would create over a P3

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Could you think of any specific brand of a HSF that would be good for a pentium 4, and possibly where to get it?

Hmmm, well I actually know pretty much nothing of Intel and mostly AMD. I know Thermalright producs excellent HS's (no fans :p) for both AMD and Intel.

You can find em on newegg.com but they are pretty pricey because these are top notch heatsinks.

Other than that I would suggest looking at Coolermaster heatsinks, or the Volcano series HSF's, not 100% if they have Intel specific coolers, but I don't see why not. Most are AMD or Intel compatible these days, especially if it's a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom