Perhaps HD is the problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Hmm, well this mainly goes to Megadeth, since he suggested it being the hard drive, but now Im wondering if it really is. Now since a couple days ago I've noticed a clicking sound from the drive every once in a while. I just went to empty my recyle bin and it hung there for 3 seconds or so, then I could hear the drive 'jump' I guess you could say and it completed the operation...now I'm not sure to think I'm paranoid or if it really was getting too hot and now on the verge of failing.

Anyone know 'HD Failing Symptoms'

OS loads and all that, no stability issues or anything of that nature. Only that clicking and that little delay for recycle bin deletion and it was 5 small files so it's not like it had to get ready to delete a bunch of crap.

slow reaction times and unexpected hangs are some of the many symptoms of failing hdds... as for clicking... its really hard to say man. i have had many hdds that began clicking. some have lasted like 4 years, and others have failed within a week. the last hdd that began clicking was from a week motor.

if the motor is ****ed in your case, then what u can do is swap it with another hdd. u gotta make sure that the manufacturers are the same because the cells are often different between them. always use the same readers, unless the replacement is from an IDENTICAL drive. if the replacement reader is even a millimeter too long, it will be accessing the wrong address giving the system mixed binary (corrupted). you will need a special tool to open the hdd unless it is a somewhat old maxtor. they used house-compatible screws for a while. i would recommend running some tests. write down the access times, read times and write times. repeat these tests every couple of days. if the times are becoming slower, than it is the motor (in most cases). check that shit man and let me know how it goes.

good luck bro. if u need anymore help with this just let me know.

lol thanks chip, but I don't think I'll be swapping out motors. I have another 80gb WD drive but it's IDE not SATA like this one. It's not a 10K RPM SATA, I just wanted the SATA for faster access times and whatnot, made quite an improvement from my last 20gb ATA100 drive.

Anywho, I've got 4HD's in my system right now, so I'm going to take out the old 10gb I have in there and see if THATS whats causing the clicking but I doubt it.

The 20gb and 80gb have NEVER clicked before so this is why it leads me to believe it's this SATA drive.

WD has an 'advanced replacement' option for RMA'ing and with a valid e-mail and credit card they will ship out a new HD to me before they even receive the defective one, so for time sake I think I'll do that so I can get the new drive ASAP and get it formatted with XP and whatnot.

I guess I'm one of those on the verge of obsessive compulsive, but tiny little things like this, and the temp rising by 4C just bugs the ever living hell out of me.

Thanks for the info Chip

Well it's more like it would hang...1...2......3 seconds then CLICK! Spiiiiiiiin and everything is back to normal.

Mind you I haven't really come across any serious system hang ups. That recycling bin was the first time I noticed that the computer took a second, because I clicked on a different Icon and it didn't select it...stayed on the recycle bin....then the bin finally emptied after about 3-4 seconds and did that clicking.

It's more like a single click from time to time not a constant clicking =/

I think I'm just going to do WD's advanced replacement so I can have the drive in my posession as quickly as possible.

Bah, I've done like 15 formats in the last 3 months, it's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom