Radeon 9800pro r360 core - OC and Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace No-Money

In Runtime
I just bought this ATI radeon 9800pro 128mb/256bit AGP 8x card off of eBay for $175.

What kind of FPS time should I expect for Half Life 2 with the resolution at 1024x768 and high model/texture settings?

I think it has the new r360 core because the memory chips are in an L shape, so it should be a good overclocker right? DO I really even need to overclock this card to get great performance? I dont want to spend money on extra cooling so what would be realistic overclocking speeds for this card that would still keep the card running cool too. I don't want it bursting into flames!

:)

Feel free to give me your opinions on this card but dont start any ATI vs nVidia wars....please!:rolleyes:

P.S. :
I'll post a pic if someone will tell me how to.

wat version of the card is it? asus, Sapphire or PowerColor for example?

just to clear it up... there is no 'L' shaped ram. it is either bga (square) or tsop (rectangle). the radeon 9800 pro is a very good card. it has been out for over two years now... and it still has not shown its age. you can expect to see high frames in half-life 2. the fact that the card features the r360 gpu is a plus. the r360 was designed for the radeon 9800 xt. considering that u have the r360, you can flash the pro bios with the xt bios. this will unlock three major features...

1) the card will act and be recognized as the 9800 xt. this means that the gpu and gram will be clocked to 9800 xt frequencies. you can raise both even higher with the right cooling. the r350/360 gpu can take one hell of a beating... so feel free to experiment with its frequency.

2) you will have overdrive enabled. overdrive controls the gpu frequencies. if the temperature becomes too hot (from overclocking), overdrive will slowly lower the frequency in order to lower the temperature to prevent damage or stress. the gram is not covered by the temperature sensor.

3) you will enable the built in temperature sensor. you will be able to monitor the temperature of the gpu. like i said before, the temperature sensor is only present on the gpu and not the gram.

check it man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom