connecting xp to 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtech

Beta member
Hi guys,

I have a home computer running XP. I have a computer at job running windows 2000. I want to connect to windows 2000 from my home using XP. By connecting I mean having office's computer desktop on my laptop (like remote desktop in XP, but I don't have XP in office)

What are the available options without changing office's computer system's OS. I have a VPN connection to the office server. But how can i connect to my particular computer. Any advice will be appreciated.

thanks for taking your time out to read it.

waiting for your response
yours truly

you will need the internal IP address of the pc ur trying to reach and possibly the admins password/persmissions

Thanks for your replies.

I do have the IP address of the computer(running win 2000) I am trying to connect to.

Here is the case.

I am connecting(using XP VPN) to the network server from home using VPN. It shows me one icon as connected through VPN. But i don't know what to do next to connect to that particular computer. Because I cannot directly VPN to that particular computer.

Any suggestion Please!!!

explaining the steps will be appreciated.

thanks all again.

try realvnc, download the host proggy and viewer. install the host on the office computer, set it up to recieve from your laptop which will require you to set a password. run (dont have to install it, its a single .exe file) the viewer proggy on your laptop and type in the IP address of the office computer, type in the password and you should be connected.

You will have to find the IP for the office pc. (you can also do this with the pc name) Also make sure that the win 2k box allows for remote connections. Right click on my computer, properties, remote (check the box for allowing users to connect remotely to that machine) and make sure to check to see if you have permissions to do so. Make sure to leave your office pc on and Locked.

Now on your XP machine, Log onto the VPN. Open up remote desktop connection. Enter the 2k machines IP address and hit connect. It should ask for your user name and password. You should be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom