usb devices malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

levi@th@n

Beta member
About an hour ago, I was at my computer doing nothing out of the ordinary; i was just playing around with adblock for firefox if u must know the details. Anyway, all of a sudden I touch the keyboard and I hear two quick soft snaps. I honestly have no idea where I heard them. I was wearing a sweat shirt that gets a lot of static very easily. Perhaps the snap sounds came from the keyboard? Not sure.

Ten seconds later, my mouse freezes and the balloon saying that a usb device has malfunctioned comes up. I can still use the keyboard. The thing is is that my mouse and keyboard have been freezing up occasionally (not often enough to make me search for a remedy) for the past few months and in past occurrences the balloon that I just got has never appeared before. Normally I just disconnect/reconnect the mouse and keyboard and they're fine so that's what I do. Suddenly the keyboard stops working as well and now they are not working after several reconnects.

I try a cold boot. I try turning off the psu and even unplugging it. I try different usb ports. I have 4 in the back that are onboard and 2 on top that are external. The external ones are not loose. The optical mouse lights up. They work fine with other computers so the devices are fine. I then tried a ps/2 keyboard. Nothing. Ok so now my usb ports and ps/2 ports are not functioning. I recently disabled my serial ports so how am I supposed to access anything on this computer?

I plug the keyboard and mouse into the 2 external usb ports. The computer doesn't turn on. I turn off and turn back on the psu. The computer turns on and then dies out after 2 seconds. I try again. Yeah, it's rather dead alright. Here are some specs to help anyone out:

case: thermaltake tsunami dream (tsunamis are certainly not "dreamy")
monitor: nec-mitsubishi FE991SB-BK 19" crt
mobo: ga-k8nsnxp-939 F6
cpu: a64 fx53-939 w/ stock heatsink (soon to be thermalright xp-120)
gpu: nvidia geforce 6800 gt w/ arctic cooling nv silencer 5
ram: 2x512 corsair xms xtra-low latency (2225) ddr400
hd: 2 74gb wd raptors
sound: audigy 2 zs card, logitech z-2200 speakers
psu: thermaltake purepower 560w (insuff. power shouldn't be a problem here)
floppy: 1 generic
dvd: 1 px-712 internal atapi dvd/cd rw, 1 asus e616p1 internal atapi dvd/cd rom
fans: 2 120mm, 1 92mm

I believe that's it. Any help would be appreciated.

So now your computer doesnt boot at all ?
Not sure what could be causing the USB failure
Check for Power Supply problems .

Yeah, it doesn't start up anymore. What should I look for in regards to a psu problem? It should definitely be enough power to run my system. The only thing I can think of is that if it's overheating, it cannot put out at its max rated wattage. In that case, I'll check the fan when the psu is turned on.

the usb ports could be shorting out which would be cause by the ground wire coming undone or unsoldered and then touchiing anything metal which is the whole case. im not sure but that is one idea....

you can get a test meter from compusa or use a volt meter to check the 12v / 5v rails etc...If you can , disconect the front usb`s or any plugable usb ports from the MB to rule them out . Try reseting cmos to get a boot into BIOS and disable any other USB ports if possible.If you make it to bios and the MB has Hardware Monitor look at your voltages etc...

this problem is a long short circuit after one thing gets short circuitted other things start short circuit this usaaly caused by radio wavelinks or static electricity those 2 clicks that you heard was the usb devises shorting out then this circiut travels through the computer and ruins the rest of the motherboard ithink you get the picture

So were those two snap sounds a guaranteed head shot to my computer or can I possibly fix it up by playing around with the motherboard? I'm still going to try anyway, but I was just wondering if I just experienced an absolute "You just totally destroyed your computer" moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom