Moniter Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charbo

In Runtime
well i was reading around here and saw that the wavy lines and such on my moniter may be from the magnets in my speakers and i was wondering if there was some kind of material that i could buy that would block it so i dont have to move my speakers.....Thanks

Essentially any conductor will act as a magnetic shield. The best conductors are metals so you could try some kind of metal foil. However the results may be pretty variable as different metals have different properties.

It is worth noting that magnetic fields drop off as a power law. And therefore moving your speakers twice as far away from your monitor will drop the magnetic field experienced by your monitor 4 fold. This will be easily the cheapest and most efficient way of stopping the distortion in your monitor.

WARNING: The longer you leave your speakers near your monitor the more likely you are to magnetise those piece's of metal in your monitor that can hold a magnetic field, iron etc. once this happens you will have permanent distortion on your crt. This is why you are not advised to put speakers near TV's etc, though modern CRT's should not really suffer from these problems so much due to better design/choice of materials mainly because of the speakers the boxes normally contain. the magnets in HiFi speakers tend to be a lot stronger though.

hmmm, my brother got a free Compaq Monitor which he uses, and the speakers dont have stands, they just clip onto both sides of the monitor. They're not very big, so is this still a problem?

they are hooked to the stereo and my pc is hooked to the aux in so the sound comes out the stereo. the speakers are on my desk so they are about moniter level and i need to know if i can put something around my moniter or somethin to make the magnetic interferance go away..

if you can get hand on some buckling magnets, glue them to the back of your biggest woofers in the opposite attraction way. this will cancel out the magnetic field. I bought some years ago from parts express.

www.partsexpress.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom