Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeus

Solid State Member
So I'm building a new computer after 3 years of having this Athlon XP system. I'm thinking of getting an Athlon 64 3000+. Is there a large performance increase in the 512k cache vs. 1mb cache, will there be in the future. Same thing for the 120nm vs. 90nm, is there a large performance increase, will there be in the future? I haven't really taken any look at Intel, do they have any decent 64-bit processors that aren't that expensive?

that depends on what you're doing
in gaming it makes a bigger difference

if you're going for the 3000+, make sure it's in socket 939
the socket 939 3000+ and 3200+ are both 90nm instead of 130nm which means they use less voltage, which means they also run cooler
and there is a small performance increase too

I'm going to be doing a little gaming, but mostly like photo editing and video editing, will the 512kb vs. 1mb of cache make much of a difference?

I would always tend to go with the 1MB cache version. Cache really does make a difference in gaming. Thats why the Pentium 4 EE is so darn expensive. It has 2MB of L3 cache.

Since your not going to be a full time gamer, you can get a 6600gt, its a good card, the 6600gt is fairly new and fast. Since your doing video editing and such, i recomend 1gb of ram in a Dual Channel Config and of coarse a Raid 0 of 2 sata drives.

Hrm.. yeah, the 6600 GT looks nice, only thing I noticed about it, only 128mb of video memory, will that make a huge difference now? In the future? I'm definitely settled on an Athlon 64 3200+ 90nm now though. :)

I dont think it will make a big difference, in time they might release 256mb models. If your worried about it, you could go for a 6800gt. Also, whats your budget?

Yeah, I'm looking at around $250 for mobo w/cpu, and $200 or so for the graphics card. The 6600GT sounds perfect. My last question, should I get new memory, I already have 1gb of PC2700, but I suppose upgrading to PC3200 would be good? And is having dual-channel that important? And which would get better performance, 2 random 512mb's or one 1gb stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom