Video Card/Display Problems - Pls Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highroller

Beta member
Hi all,

I hope you guys can help me - you all seem to know what you're talking about.

Here is my problem. Intermittently (sometimes once a month other times – like this week – every day!!) upon startup, my PC seems to ignore the fact that I have a video card and reverts to the standard VGA drivers complete with 16 bit colour and 640x480 resolution. I then have to go through the process of reinstalling the video card drivers again.

He are my systems specÂ’s:

PIII 667
256MB
GF4MX-440se video card
2 x HDD (1x15GB and 1x80GB)
Windows 98se
SoundBlaster Live! Sound Card

I’ve tried reinstalling drivers etc and just when I think I’ve beaten it – bang! the display goes haywire again. I’ve even put my trusty ol’ TNT2 32MB card back in to make sure the GF4 wasn’t stuffed – but no joy same problems.

Any ideas guys? IÂ’ve used detonator destroyer as well but still no luck??

Thanks for any advice.

Highroller

Thanks Microbell. I'll try the 43.00 drivers.

And yes the probelms occurs with both cards. I am currently running with some old 29.42 drivers I had from ages ago - and so far they are OK (with the TNT2 installed haven't tried the GF4). Since my last post I have tried to update to the new drivers with not much luck - it's almost as if the drivers will not 'take' when installed. I have tried both the manual installation as per the Read Me file that comes with the drivers (ie via display setting etc) and also the setup.exe option.

It's really got me mystified?????

Hi

NVidia drivers can, as you state, be pigs to uninstall completely and you can end up with a 'mutant' driver.

There are tools that are speciffically designed to overcome this 'sticky' driver problem.

Try here:

http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/

Also try and get 'WHQL' certified drivers if possible.

HTH

could i get help from you guys?

i'm kinda having the same problem as the original poster. my windows 98 (first edition. yes i know its old my mom says its a really really good computer so we don't have to update it. she wont listen to me.) i recently wiped my hard drive to start over and i installed 98 again and now i am stuck on the VGA display adapter thing. and every time i change it it stays to restart and i do that then it says that the one i chose wont work and that it will go back to the startdard VGA one. is there any way to get past this? hmm i wonder now if there is even a video card on this piece of s..t computer.

First, make sure you have the updated drivers for your video card.

You should go into the bios and find the option to disable the onboard video... than turn off the computer and unplug the power cord from it.

Then, install your video card and plug your monitor in to it. Turn you computer back on, and install the videocard driver(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom