Question for Nubius

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
Nubius, I'm impressed by how far you've overclocked your XP-M. How does it compare to other CPU's in the Athlon XP line, as well as Pentium 4's, in terms of performance? Also, do you have any of your 3DMark or any other benchmark scores? Sorry for the random questions, I'm just curious.

Well basically it's better than any XP hands down. Since the top XP is the 3200+ at 2.2GHz and I have mine at 2.5GHz then it beats it out as far as clock speed which is basically the definitive test as to which is better because both this mobile and the 3200+ have the same barton core, L2 Cache, and all that jazz.

If I clocked my XP-M to 2.2GHz then technically it'd just be the same as the 3200+ XP, but like I said that extra GHz basically makes it better than any current XP.

As far as P4's go I really don't know enough about Intel and their processors to fully answer that. And the last bench I did was quite some time ago with my CPU up at 2.7GHz, heres that screenshot though:

OCSS3.jpg

It can handle itself pretty well against some P4's which clearly have a much larger clock speed, however, if you look the Integer bench beats the 3.8GHz Intel, BUT it doesn't beat the floating point bench, so it's kind of a trade off.

Either way it still outperforms a good amount of Intels above it's class. But once you start getting into Platinum EXTREME EDITIONS! or whatever pentium has right now then of course they would obviously perform much better.

As far as 3dmark is concerned, that's all GPU basically so that really has no coorelation on the CPU although yes it does test the CPU a little it really doesn't reflect too heavily on the actual score.

I think I get like 3200 in 3dmark because I only have a FX 5700

Hope that answers it enough for ya :D

I'd take an XP-M over any XP anyday. Once I get a new PSU, I can get my thing oced back up to 3.85 GHz and we can see how well it really holds up and I think that XP-M outperforms an Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester or not under stock settings in non-64 environments of course.

Yeah, although the 64's are also good 32bit processors (which they dang well should be afterall) they also have more L2 cache obviously, but other than that, the L2 cache can't carry it that much. if you got a good 300Mhz over an AMD64 chances are you will outperform it. But obviously an AMD64 of the same clock speed would win.

But yeah I like it, it's been a good little CPU, especially compared to the 2400+ XP that I also have :p

Thanks for the info and screenshots Nubius. That did definitely answer my question :) Perhaps if I was more computer saavy, I would try my hand that that extreme overclocking.

Nah dude that's not even extreme. I'm still learning quite a bit about all the voltages of Vcore, Vdimm and Vdd (Chipset voltage) , and overclocking the system. I've found that basically next to the GPU of course, the CPU is the easiest to overclock. The RAM and total system FSB takes a lot more patience and practice which I'm in the process of learning.

Trust me it's not as hard as you think. I was terrified at first, and now I just want MORE MORE MORE!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom