Connect Power to HDD = No POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myristan

Solid State Member
Just recieved a new Motherboard, Processor, and memory to upgrade my computer with.
Motherboard = EliteGroup 741GX-M
Processor = AMD 3000 XP
Memory = DDR 2700 (dual banked)
Power Supply is 450W ColorCases power supply.

Now I'm upgrading a computer that I currently use frequently. Been using the same Hard Disk and CDROM for over a year.

Here's the problem.

If I put in this Motherboard, Proc, and Memory and attach NOTHING. I can boot the computer and get into my BIOS Setup.

However as soon as I connect power to my Hard Disk or CDROM, I either get no boot, boot up to the point where I can see Proc MHZ and total Mem and computer locks up, and that's about it. Now here is one weird thing. Even if I do NOT the data cable connected to the HDD from the Motherboard, my Hard Disk LED for the Computer Case acts like it's performing a constant read. With no datacable connected to the hard drive. Just the power.

Any one have any ideas? I believe this is an Award bios. Does the Award bios have some funky voltage it allows for Drives? Or even a setting for it?

Well....the only thing I can think of is the fact that you are never supposed to just switch a HD from one computer to another. Think about it man, each motherboard and everything installed on that drive has their own set of drivers. You cant just move it into another motherboard with completely different drivers and expect it to work.

Every time you do a major hardware replacement like a motherboard, the HD needs to be reformatted.

So all I can suggest is you format it and try again

Nubius said:
Well....the only thing I can think of is the fact that you are never supposed to just switch a HD from one computer to another. Think about it man, each motherboard and everything installed on that drive has their own set of drivers. You cant just move it into another motherboard with completely different drivers and expect it to work.

Every time you do a major hardware replacement like a motherboard, the HD needs to be reformatted.

So all I can suggest is you format it and try again

Okay I understand that and all. But your missing the point. Even if I wanted to say, pop in a Win XP CD or Win 2k CD, format the drive and reinstall. Right now, I can't. Cause the computer, with the power plugged into any Hard Drive or CD Rom drive will crash or won't boot and never get's past POST if it does come up.

Ahhh I see, sorry about that.

Well dang......you said that's just even if you hook up the power to the HD or CD-ROM it'll crash?

Do you have another PSU you could possibly test the system with? Since all you're doing is plugging in power to the drives and it causes it to crash it'd make me think the PSU is failing when those devices call on that power.

What are the rails on that PSU you have? Meaning the rating of the +12v, +3.3v, and +5v rail, what's their ampere rating.

Well tell ya what. Here is everything on the side of the Power Supply...

AC INPUT: 220/110VAC 50/60Hz 3/6A
Fuse Rating: F8A 250VAC

DC OUTPUT Max

+3.3V, +5V, +12V, -5V, -12V, +5VSB
25A, 32A, 16A, 0.5A, 0.5A, 2.5A

450W

How's that? Any help?

yeah that's exactly the info I needed.

Your +12v Rail is pretty weak, but that's fairly common for a PSU that came with a case...generally 15a is what they come with, but it should still suffice unless you're running more fans and accessories than I think.

Is it when you plug in the CD-ROM OR the HD meaning just one item plugged in will cause it to crash? Or is it when you're trying both plugged in?

Just trying to determine if it's one piece of hardware in particular, but currently I'm thinking it's your PSU that would be causing this

I get this problem with only the following plugged together.

Power Supply hooked to Motherboard.
Power Supply hooked to Floppy drive.
Power supply hooked to NOTHING else.
1 Stick of 512 PC 2700 Memory (moved it to both memory slots to test if slot was bad. Tried different memory stick and still same problem)

All PCI, AGP, and CNR slots are free and unused. Meaning I have no cards inserted into the board at all.

This is the point I hook up either the HDD or the CDROM to the power supply. No datacable connections.

This problems happens with either the HDD plugged into the power by it self or the CDROM connected with power by itself. Or if both are plugged into the power supply the problem exists to.

Same problems happen if I connect datacables. All cable connections are keyed so I couldn't mess it up if I wanted to in that respec.

After reading the posts a few times this definitly looks to be POWER related. Even so, I'd suggest to ensure the board is mounted properly. Some leave a stud where a stud is not needed and the metal contact with the board causes issues.
It would suck to have to return the case because of the PSU. PSUs are cheap though I'd just try a new one.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom