password protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
I have used a screensaver and i set that when the screensaver comes on, and someone tries to access the comp, you have to enter the password. Now, usually, this would show the start up screen and show the computer's name, and then ask for the pass.

the screensaver reset itself a few weeks ago and i thought nothing of it, no one is around my comp anymore to neccessatate it being password protected. I did however, want a screensaver and i also wanted the monitor to shut off after x amount of time.

So today, I set the same screensaver and i set the power off function, then i took a nap for two hours. I wake up and see this new window in the screen, now the monitor should have shut off an hour ago, and i have never seen this window before. the window said that the comp was locked and that only an admin could unlock it, but it wasn't a startup screen and it didn't show my computer's name like i had set it. i tried to just click okay but it was really locked, so i typed my password and got in and now i'm writing this to ask why the new window popped up and not the startup screen like always and to ask why it doesnt show the real computer name i set it too now?

I have had a rash of trojan viruses too, like two a day, could this maybe change some settings or something that i don't know about? when i do get a virus, i immediately update and do a full scan and get rid of it.

My guess is that you're noticing the difference between the welcome screen and the older windows default logon.

Try going into control panel -> user accounts -> change the way users logon -> uncheck the wecome screen box.

If you post a pic of the new screen when you're trying to get back into windows we might be able to help a bit more.

i don't think i can take a snap, since you can't do anything until you log on, but i'll try what you suggested, thanks.

EDIT: done, but the second i opened the option for "change the way users log on" i get a few hostile script errors from my virus security center.

update your virus defenitions with your antivirus software... boot the computer to safe mode, run a complete virus scan. also download adaware se or spybot search and destroy and run a complete scan. you can find a free trial of these on google.
once you have done this... you may want to back up your important files.
you will want to fully clean the system of all spyware and viruses before continuing.
also i want you to right click on mycomputer. select properties... go to the computer name tab. this is where you can change the computer name and or join it to a domain.

the only time i have seen windows xp try to lock the console is when it is added to a domain... if you are at home, you more than likely will not need to be on a domain, you will need to make sure this is set to workgroup.

also you can check out your settings. under screensaver tab. right click on the desktop and select properties... the line under the drop down menue to select the screen saver uncheck the option to show logon screen on resume

then go to power settings.... it's the button labled power below the screen saver selection.

once in power settings go to the Advance tab... under Options uncheck "prompt for password when computer resumes from standby

under the tab for Power Schemes you may want to adjust your settings to turn off monitor here.

under control panel, users, and select change the way users log on/off make sure use welcome screen and the option for fast user switching are checked... this should do away with the option to lock the desktop.

and yes if the desktop is locked, only 2 types of accounts can unlock the pc at that point. 1 is an administrator account. the 2nd is the currently loggedon user.

good luck

Yeah, of course my virus definitions are updated, I update virusscan everytime i use it just to make sure, I also run Spybot and Adaware fully updated as well. I'll try a safemode boot and scan later though.

the computer's name is what it should be, and i'm in a workgroup and not a domain.

i went to both screensaver and power options to uncheck the password option. the power off settings look good, one hour shut off for the monitor, which is what i set earlier.

i went into "change the ways users log on and.." again to double check and the same hostile script warning came up from my virus security. but the settings are good to go.

thanks both of you for your help, i now have to let the comp sit an hour before i can determine if it works or not.

ok, you can bump up the time... see if the same thing happens at say 15 or 20 minutes...
also what do the hostile script warnings say... and post a screenshot if at all possible.

that may help track this bug down...

yeah, silly me, i should have set the times to shut down sooner, at least i found out that my screensaver is okay. now, here's the warning i get:

hostileerror4cx.png

now, even if i click on "yes, always" it happens every time i try to perform that action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom