Endless loop in Windows 2000 install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's exactly what I get.

I don't use msn messenger. I guess I can get it.

Right now it is "performing final tasks" for the hundreth time.

What does that mean that I get that screen?

ok, does it always restart in the exact same spot or within a few seconds or w/e, im guessing ur past the welcome screen, and ur past the name, organization, time zone, serial all that junk, and then it got to the screen where it says setting up start menu, configurizing settings or watever the other 3 things on that men u are...is that where it is?

right. I never got to the time zone stuff, etc. It always restarts saying at that half text have graphic screen, then goes to start menu, configuirng blah blah blah.

I've downloaded msn, and configuring now.

ok, half of this almost makes no sense, in order to get to the part that i think ur at u have to be passed the serial, time zone settings and all that. but ok, do u by chance have a digi cam? if so take a pic of the last part before it restarts, and send it, if not take down all the text in the last window and type it up, once u get ur msn messenger configured and stuff add gtp_96@hotmail.com

well if anyone decides to help, i'm pretty sure i narrowed it down to hardware compatibility. This computer is trying to be upgraded from windows 98 to windows 2000, she won't do a fresh install unless she can backup files first. She doesnt want to go through the trouble of that yet tho. The install almost completely finishes, when its performing final tasks it restarts(note this IS AFTER network setting up and all user intervention. It is also after its setting up start menu and all that other junk. She has tried 2 cds and they both do the same thing, so I'm guessing its hardware compatibility which makes no sense because if windows 98 runs fine....why wont 2000? I made the suggestion to try and downgrade to 98..its the only thing i can see that could possibly work but unless anyone has any other suggestions please fill us in.

Update:
I solved my problem. I had to boot from the install disk, and run the install that way. Sadly, this gives me two choices of systems on boot, but I can live with that situation since I don't know how to delete the bad one.

In any event, I am into the machine, and the data is intact. Many thanks to my new friend delldude for walking through the problem with me late last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom