Slow Transfer Of Files From HD to 2nd HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GokuGouki

Solid State Member
I have a 40gb Western Digital HD and i just installed an 120gb ATA Maxtor HD. When i transfer a 180 mb file from the WD to the Maxtor it takes a couple mins and it lags my computer at 100% cpu usuage. When im dling a file to the Maxtor Hd at 160 k/b its lags my computer also. My computer is running at 2.4ghz, 512 ram, WD Hard Drive is my master and the maxtor is my slave both using the same cable. Do i need more memory? A different cable? Any infos on how to fix this is appreciated.

well transferring is usually slow for me to, i sit at 340k/s i think downloading, hopefully someone can tell us how to speed it up

*WOOHOO - 50th Post*

If you think about what's acutally going on in the guts of your computer, this makes sense.

First, the processor has to grab your data from your original Hard drive, then it has to process what to do with it, then it has to write it to your second hard drive. When transferring a small file (1MB or so) this doesn't take too long, but when you start getting into larger files it's going to take longer.

180MB still shouldn't take that long if you have your IDE cables set up to optomize data transfer. You should have 1 HD on each IDE cable, this way the processor can read from the first IDE channel and write to the 2nd one.

Give that a shot.

Well i tried to switch the ide cable from the hd to the cd rom but the cable isnt long enough. Does it matter if its 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm? Because i have a older computer with a 20gb as the master and the slave is a 60gb and the transfer rate isnt that bad compare to this where it sometimes freezes my system for 1-2 secs. I been searching through the forum and some1 solve by going to their bios and fixing it, getting a ultra ata-133 pci card(not sure becuz im using 120 gb). And also i partion the Maxtor hd, 4 drives with 30 gb each. N e ways i tried to copy the files again and the lag was still there.

It shouldn't lag at all. I would install your chipset drivers and change the cables. Check the jumpers etc.

well it shouldn't make your CPU load at 100% but yeah a 5400 against a 7200RPM HD does matter, that means you'd be getting a real slow transfer of data between the two hard drives.

On top of that it also depends on if the drives are ATA100/133 or what, and that effects how fast files are transfered

I think I found out what is wrong, the device 1 was in PIO mode. So in BIOS i set the device to auto and i check the device now and its in UDMA Mode 5 for both of the device. Transferrings the files now takes a couple secs rather than the few mins. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom