Windows XP Advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

toogreen

Baseband Member
Hi all, i am about to purchase myself a new computer rig that I will be building myself. First off, I have never installed any operating system. As well as built a computer, which I what I am doing. But I do have a question. While looking at newegg.com to buy XP, I noticed there is one version with a Service Pack 1 and another one with Service Pack 2. What is the difference, and which would you reccommend to someone who will be doing mostly gaming, but eventually programming and media things. Thanks for any help in advance.

If they're the same price, get the one with SP2. Otherwise get the SP1 version and grab the SP2 update for free from windows update.

Which ever you choose, it is better to have sp2 loaded before you load any other programs. Have seen numerous problems when sp2 was loaded last.

SP1 is just not a relevant question. Buy the release with SP2 already in it.

1. You have to upgrade to SP2 to continue to get updates from Windows.
2. SP2 fixes a lot of problems and has some great security features.
3. You won't get any support from MS without SP2.
4. Getting an edition with SP2 already included not only saves you from the download time and possible download corruptions (the leading cause of SP2 upgrade problems) but it means that if you ever have to reformat your machine or just reinstall Windows, you don't have to re-download SP2. This is great if you have to rebuild a machine and don't have it connected to the net at the moment.

ShoobieRat said:
SP1 is just not a relevant question. Buy the release with SP2 already in it.

1. You have to upgrade to SP2 to continue to get updates from Windows.
2. SP2 fixes a lot of problems and has some great security features.
3. You won't get any support from MS without SP2.
4. Getting an edition with SP2 already included not only saves you from the download time and possible download corruptions (the leading cause of SP2 upgrade problems) but it means that if you ever have to reformat your machine or just reinstall Windows, you don't have to re-download SP2. This is great if you have to rebuild a machine and don't have it connected to the net at the moment.

Good Advice

microsoft took sp2 off of it's automatic update site as it was locking up too many computers. you have to get to the sp2 link and manually do it now.

but if you have it already on the xp sp2 cd, it seems to work fine.
but a lot of people don't seem to like sp2 as it seems to not let you install or use peer to peer or filesharing programs.

Service Pack 2 is the latest
no matter Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 you buy
you must make sure your windows xp upgraded to Service Pack 2 for security concern

funggorgor said:
Service Pack 2 is the latest
no matter Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 you buy
you must make sure your windows xp upgraded to Service Pack 2 for security concern

If you don't use IE or Real one player and Use 3rd party software, you don't need SP2

EricB said:
If you don't use IE or Real one player and Use 3rd party software, you don't need SP2

How many windows xp users don't use IE?
Majority of them use IE
Yes, some use firefox
But most of websites nowadays cater for IE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom