MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum-HOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241158
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4_Platinum&class=mb

Guys, look at these specs! This is absolutely the craziest and best Socket 939 Non-SLI board I have ever seen! PCIe x4, x1, x16, you're set for generations! Anyways, I'm not getting the Abit AX8..., I think this buck for $40 more will be the better bang for the buck and for $220 the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI can be had. I think MSI will be the winner for the new NForce4 boards.

The MSI board arenÂ’t that bad at all.

Even thought its an Ultra you can do SLI with it witch is a big plus, but it wont have the exact same performance as the real SLI version.

As for the winner in the nForce 4 boards MSI might take it but I think DFI's solution is going to blow this board away. With 4 volts vdimm and 2.1 volts vcore as well as 8 sata ports and much more DFI rule.

Noesteve

Dfi is definitely the top nForce 4 board. Msi i think has come out with some great motherboard recently (K8n Neo 2) and i think the Msi board is second choice right now :)

I'm looking at the Neo2 Platinum. I don't know anything about motherboards, but I've heard MSI is a good name, and this board looks cool. I probably won't use the S/PDIF port, but I'll use the 8 channel audio for sure, as well as the Firewire and USB2. Don't know what I'll do with the second LAN port, but it's gotta be for something. And AGP 8X is fine for me. I mean, I'm going to get a GeForce 6800GT (either the eVGA or the PNY, looks like...) as well as 2GB PC3200 RAM and an AMD Athlon64 3500+, so I know I'll smoke Far Cry and Doom 3, and Deus Ex 2 enough as it is. SLI and PCI Express are nice, but they're also more expensive, significantly, and I don't think I need to be that cutting-edge. I think, for at least a couple years, systems with SLI and Dual Core, and PCI Express, won't totally smoke my system, at least not that the end user will notice... Until a few years later when games start demanding these things and AGP is no longer a viable option.........

Oceanb0rn said:
I'm looking at the Neo2 Platinum. I don't know anything about motherboards, but I've heard MSI is a good name, and this board looks cool. I probably won't use the S/PDIF port, but I'll use the 8 channel audio for sure, as well as the Firewire and USB2. Don't know what I'll do with the second LAN port, but it's gotta be for something. And AGP 8X is fine for me. I mean, I'm going to get a GeForce 6800GT (either the eVGA or the PNY, looks like...) as well as 2GB PC3200 RAM and an AMD Athlon64 3500+, so I know I'll smoke Far Cry and Doom 3, and Deus Ex 2 enough as it is. SLI and PCI Express are nice, but they're also more expensive, significantly, and I don't think I need to be that cutting-edge. I think, for at least a couple years, systems with SLI and Dual Core, and PCI Express, won't totally smoke my system, at least not that the end user will notice... Until a few years later when games start demanding these things and AGP is no longer a viable option.........

I would rather wait and get a nForce 4 Setup, Also 2gb of ram is too much 1gb of ram would be just fine. What Cpu are you getting, most people say the extra money spent on a 3500+ over a 3200+ is not worth it.

Ive been using Msi since the KT3 ultra and it one of the best boards Ive ever used.Very reliable and the auto update is the best.You can do a reinstall and run auto update and it will install all the drivers for the mobo if you don't have the disk.It saved me when I bought a used one and needed drivers.Its my pick.

DFI doesn't usually have good quality. Plus, even though everyone says DFI is run my ocers, the boards don't have PCI/AGP locks. My friend has a DFI Lanparty Pro875B and his base clock doesn't even go past 213 no matter how much voltage he puts through the Pentium 4. This is the case with the Lanparty 925X T2 and the Lanparty 915P T2 or something like that. I'm sure this is the case with the 754/939 DFI boards also. So, if you don't have an PCIe/PCI lock for the SLI-Dr, that could become a huge problem as components including dual gfx could burn out.

Megadeth2 said:
DFI doesn't usually have good quality. Plus, even though everyone says DFI is run my ocers, the boards don't have PCI/AGP locks. My friend has a DFI Lanparty Pro875B and his base clock doesn't even go past 213 no matter how much voltage he puts through the Pentium 4. This is the case with the Lanparty 925X T2 and the Lanparty 915P T2 or something like that. I'm sure this is the case with the 754/939 DFI boards also. So, if you don't have an PCIe/PCI lock for the SLI-Dr, that could become a huge problem as components including dual gfx could burn out.

The DFI Lanparty Pro875B was aimed at overclockers but it turned out to only hit 214Mhz. But there was a trick you had to set a 3:2 memory devider
I just pushed up the FSB frequency, having set the memory frequency devisor to 3:2 and fixed the AGP/PCI frequencies at 66/33MHz. Thus, the DFI LANPARTY PRO875B is surely an excellent platform for CPU overclocking as it has no problems whatever at high FSB clock-rates. The processor with a regular frequency of 2.4GHz worked at 3.6GHz, and again, I canÂ’t say anything negative about the stability of the overclocked system throughout our tests.

The DFI Lanparty 250GB was one of the best Amd 754 boards around.
This motherboard was build with the help of overclockers, for overclockers. In the official press release they were quick to point out how their board had already overclocked to 425 MHz FSB!

The Dfi nForce 4 board will have a pci/agp lock as the board are designed by overclockers.
(Notice oscar_wu's OC - 370MHz FSB)

IMO Dfi has the best quality around, i have never heard someone getting a faulty board. As for the overclocking problem, these mainly happened on Intel motherboard so it didnt really matter in any case :D Also most of them did have fixes

MSI is a very good stable quality board. It's mainly on these newer K8 boards that they are now pumping buku options into the BIOS which is nice. The MSI Neo2-Platinum has every option you could possibly want for overclocking although some of their previous K7 boards had close to none. I would say MSI is just overall a very good board if you're not overclocking, but like I said now they've incoorperated OC'ing options into the BIOS so now it looks like they could also be a good OC'ing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom