NOOB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Having only been seriously into computers for about a year, I have gained so much knowledge...however there is one thing I've never understood. Whats the difference between the AMD Athlon 64 line of processors and the AMD Athlon FX line? Both are sockent 939 and both are 64-bit. Why does the FX line cost so much more than the regular 64s? And I remember watching "The Screen Savers" and them saying that the FX line doesn't offer enough performance than the regular Athlon 64 to justify the extra cost. Excuse my ignorance and noobiness, but I have always wondered this.

I don't know either really. Perhaps it's just because every once in a while a company offers out something that's supposed to be a gear up but turns out to be way too expensive for as little increase as it provides. But in all honesty I really don't know. Upon going to AMD's website I didn't see any differences that really stuck out. I didn't read the entire product brief but I was mainly looking for key features that would seperate it.

Well, my Clawhammer version of the Athlon 64 has 1MB L2 cache. No I can see the multiplier thing being a plus but I dont see myself paying hundreds of extra bucks for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom