msmsgs.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
This annoying process has bothered me from day 1. I have disabled the actual MSN Messenger program that appears in the System Tray, but the process remains, despite my best efforts in msconfig to kill it. mscongif lists both the service and the start up link as unchecked, and in the case of the serivce, stropped. But the blasted thing still appears in my process lists and uses 8megs of memory. How do I safely kill this thing permanently, or can I? I do remember when I tried to manually exit the sys tray messenger it said somethign along the lines of "Windows or other applications need ths program." Any ideas?

I have a command if you want to completely remove MSN Messenger...however, if you do, you will not be able to use Remote Assistance. So, here goes...

1. Click on the Start button and select Run.
2. Type (or copy and paste):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Use Outlook Express? By default, it starts messenger when started. To stop, look around in preferences in OExpress.....I haven't used OE in ages.

like the Rage said... Outlook express uses it, Outlook uses it, IE uses it, Remote assistance uses it... windows messenger is tied into XP and Office so tight these days i would think twice about how bad you want it gone... how much trouble is it realy?
actually i use it. so good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom