IDE connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud5437

In Runtime
I was wondering what is the best configuration to have my DVD-ROM, DVD-RW and HARD DRIVE connected to my motherboard. I know that there is only 2 IDE ports with 3 devices to be connected so with 2 drives would be best on the one cable? IÂ’m not sure if it would make a difference to the write speed of the DVDÂ’s if the burner was on its own or would it be better to have the reader on its own?

Any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest that you have the hard drive on the primary ide as the master with the dvdrw as the slave on the primary ide. then you would have the dvdrom as the master on the secondary ide.

I would put the harddrive on 1 channel and the cd-rom drives on the pther channel. But it doesn't really matter. You can hook it up any way you like. Modern IDE controllers do not have any problems using a HD and CD-ROM device on the same channel either. You won't notice a per4mance decrease.

The IDE controller is where your hard disks connect to through the IDE cables. I don't know exactly since when they run different devices on the same channel (cable) without problems. My comp is from 1997 and has no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom