Floppy problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cthulhu

Solid State Member
Since I had my HD reformatted (Win 98 SE), when ever i attempt to write someting to a floppy disk I get the "Please Remove Write Protection" message. (The only real reason I need the floppy at the moment is because I've lost my original boot disk.) None of the disks I've used have had write protectoin on, but i still get the message. Is there any way I can fix this.

This happens with all of the floppies you use?

I would say that it most likely is a problem with the actuator in the drive that senses whether that little clip is moved or not. It's a little "pin" that is either pushed down when the clip is covering the "write protect" hole or sits normal when the clip is moved.

Pretty much the only way to check this (except for trying a different floppy) is to pop the case on the floppy and check to ensure that the pin is operating properly. It could be bent or damaged in some way. However, since a passable floppy will cost you less than $10, I would suggest trying a replacement. Opening up a drive box is a problem in and of itself and has the potential for large damage to the drive.

Alexander

devlish96 said:
try cleaning the floppy drive. [/Q]

I'll most likely fork out the $8 and buy a new one, but just out of curiosity how do you clean out a floppy drive?

The only way to clean one that I know of would be to purchase a floppy cleaning kit.. Basically it is an absorbant pad "disk" that you put some cleaner on, insert it into the drive and cause the drive to spin.. Thereby, cleaning the read/write heads on the floppy. You can pick them up at most computer stores.. Get some compressed air and blow it out too, you may have something sticking that pin I was talking about.

Alexander

all i gotta say is "why have a 3.5" floppy when you can have a 5.25" hard drive?" (i know they dont make those anymore, but hey, it don work when they are the same size)

1. well a good option is to get a burner,with a pack of RW's. they hold more than a ZIP and they're probbably even cheaper too.

2. it's not very much money just to get a new floppy drive.

3. if the only problem is to use the Win98 setup on boot then go to BIOS settings and change it to look in the CD ROM drive first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom