IDE Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

willsko87

Daemon Poster
I tried searching TF but i couldnt find much but im getting a new HDD and I pressume that:

Primary
HDD 1
CD-RW (Primary Slave)

Secondary
HDD 2
DVD Drive (Secondary Slave)

would make HDD to HDD speed quicker than:

Primary
HDD 1
HDD 2 (Primary Slave)

Secondary
CD-RW
DVD Drive (Secondary Slave)

So what I am asking is that if I put the Hard Drives on the same IDE cable would it be quicker or slower for HDD to HDD speed if they were on separate IDE cable? Am I right?
Or doesnt it make much difference?

Thanks people

The HDDs will not change speed, but having the DVD on a different drive from the CDRW will allow you to copy directly from one disc to another without having a tmp file stored on HDD. This makes disc duplication quicker.

I know that the HDD's wont change speed, someone just told me that having them on separate cables would make coping files from HDD to HDD quicker as it goes straight to though the motherboard instead of having to go down the cable to the motherboard and back up again. I spose it wouldnt make much difference.

it won't make it faster or slower; however I would put the HDD's on one channel, and the CD/DVD drives on the other, so the cables in your case will be cleaner

transfer speed is as fast as the slowest device you are transferring to or from

LOL yeah, thats one thing I never bother about, you should see inside my case, cables everywhich way.

I always put my cd drives on the second channel, copying from disc to disc goes fine like TheMajor says

like it was said before, IDE is only as fast as it's weakest component, therefore if you put a cd rom on the same cable as your HDD it will slow it down. but if you put both HDD's on one cable and the DVD and CDR on another cable, it will keep the HD faster, but may slow down the DVD a bit. personally, i have my removable storage on one, and HDD on the other and have no problems copying disk to disk. in any situation if both HDD are on one cable you will not notice any speed changes. however if you put them with a new DVD burner, the DVD burner may or may not be as fast, anyway i'm starting to repeat myself, you get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom