The Mac G5 kicks ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok this is what i'm going to say:

why are mac's expensive? <-- you get what you pay for
also Linux is a Free OS <-- isn't that saying something? isnt it? ISN'T IT?

Mac's can get a Windows Emulator
you can run Windows programs on mac, but not the other way round.

Mac's don't have very much virus troubles at all, 90% of viruses are designed to attack PC's

the Mac OS is virtually crash proof

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I like Windows machines, i'm using one at the moment but my personal preference is with Macs

Mac's don't have very much virus troubles at all, 90% of viruses are designed to attack PC's

This is a mute point because Apple has such a small percent of marketshare.

Virus Makers are a bit like terrorists. They will write virii that will damage as much as possible. To do that, they have to be windows virii.

If apple made up the majority of computers in the world, you would see many more Mac virii.

why are mac's expensive? <-- you get what you pay for
also Linux is a Free OS <-- isn't that saying something? isnt it? ISN'T IT?

Mac's are expensive because they charge what they want. In the computer world you don't necessarily have to pay the highest amount to get the best quality. However, you CAN pay alot of money for a piece of crap machine.

As to Linux being free. The implication that you are making is that since it's free, it must be crap. That is completely not true. It's open source and has advanced dramatically in the past 3-5 years. It's a quality OS. Compatability is much better than it was. Useability is much better than it was. Stability has always been good. Linux will continue to improve in compatability, useability, etc and may very well become a problem for windows in the future.

Mac's can get a Windows Emulator
you can run Windows programs on mac, but not the other way round.

This again is a mute point. Every piece of software available for a Mac has a windows version available too, or there is a quality piece of software for windows that does the same thing. However, that cannot be said in the reverse. The reason Macs have windows emulators is because there is not as much software available for a Mac as there is for windows based PCs. This is not a plus for a Mac. It's a minus.

Alexander

Alexander said:

Aside from the possible OS9 cert (which at this point is somewhat in doubt) there is nothing you have mentioned that makes you an authority on >> WINDOWS BASED PCs << no less an authority on Macs. There are people here that ARE authorities on both (I do not include myself in this statement as there is still a great deal I do not know), but I know enough to state that you seem to be running a bit out of your league.

Alexander

I am ineligible for these certifications not because of any lack of knowledge or skill, but because of my age. I have to be 18 to become an Apple certified technician or any of these other certifications. The A+ especially, since it also requires 6 months of on the job tech experience, which I cannot get because most computer stores wont hire a 16 year old kid (minimum age to work; I am currently 15 years old) until he is 18. The Cisco and Novell certifications are worthless to me and what I want to do in regards to computers.

So I would, but I cant. Get the rules changed and Id be right up there with you in certifications.

Though, since you do have the certifications (hopefully you arent lying; Ill give you the benefit of the doubt) you do have the right to comment on technology things and have the knowledge bestowed upon you, represented by your certification, that make you more credible than others.

Anyways, the imac comment was a bit vague on my part. I really should have said "best selling computer line ever". The imac is a line of computers; a culmination all of the CRT and LCD models introduced by Apple. So, in your comparison, you really cant compare by saying "100 imacs, and 54 Dells" because thats comparing a line with a brand. It would be better compared with "100 imacs and 54 DELL Dimension PCs".

i do not have any mac certifications, so i dont not know as much about them as i could, but i have taken an OSX operating systems class, so i do know enough to know i hate macs and also i know enough to know that this statement is laughable:

apokalipse said:

the Mac OS is virtually crash proof

i was wondering where mac_mogul is? he should see this debate. i would very much like to see what he has to say..

g5orbust said:
I am ineligible for these certifications not because of any lack of knowledge or skill, but because of my age. I have to be 18 to become an Apple certified technician or any of these other certifications. The A+ especially, since it also requires 6 months of on the job tech experience, which I cannot get because most computer stores wont hire a 16 year old kid (minimum age to work; I am currently 15 years old) until he is 18. The Cisco and Novell certifications are worthless to me and what I want to do in regards to computers.

I think you misunderstood my post.. That second part (after the comparison stuff) was to the PC guy that is going off about mac computers. I was not denigrating your ability or knowledge in any way. Please accept my appologies for the misunderstanding. Maybe I should have broken that response up into two messages.

Anyways, the imac comment was a bit vague on my part. I really should have said "best selling computer line ever". The imac is a line of computers; a culmination all of the CRT and LCD models introduced by Apple. So, in your comparison, you really cant compare by saying "100 imacs, and 54 Dells" because thats comparing a line with a brand. It would be better compared with "100 imacs and 54 DELL Dimension PCs".

Touché.. Yes... I will agree with that..

Alexander

going back to the original post.." The Mac G5 kicks ass" ...my 2.5g p4 can kick its ass anytime, anywhere.

"going back to the original post.." The Mac G5 kicks ass" ...my 2.5g p4 can kick its ass anytime, anywhere."

Taking the fun outta this question...I am pretty sure the G5 is taller, wider, deeper, heavier and stronger than your p4 (aluminum case)...so if there was going to be any ass kicking, the G5 would do it.

As for hardware...well, we all know the benchmarks and the real life examples of real life software situations and its been argued to death...so no need to bring it up.

As for Mac OS X being crash-proof...I can vouch that it is not...but its a lot better than most other OS's. I use my Dual 867 PowerMac as a file server, apache server, M-Beat server (streaming audio to appliances and other Macs), compiling platform, gaming system (when I get around to it -- I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 for a reason) and all the other little utilities needed to make a company function on a day to day basis including ssh and ftp and it doesn't crash. Its uptime as of the other day was 42 days....I then decided that maybe it was time to do some system updates and it required a restart. That is a general situation for most Mac users...remove the uptime when you have to. The uptime prior to that was erased by a power failure and then prior to that installing and testing Panther.

"Mac's are expensive because they charge what they want. In the computer world you don't necessarily have to pay the highest amount to get the best quality. However, you CAN pay alot of money for a piece of crap machine."

I agree...Apple has a monopoly on the hardware and can charge what they want...but like the standard challenge...build a rig comparable to a Dual G5 and match the price. Don't forget those firewire ports, optical audio out, superdrive, SATA, PCI-X, Mac OS X, all the free iApp's, a copy of OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, etc.

In the end, an Apple is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Now as for lots of money for a crap machine...what was the return rate for Dell laptops last year? 26%?

"This is a mute point because Apple has such a small percent of marketshare."

I don't really think that is a mute point...it is fact. We have less market share and therefore there are less virii and Apple does not go around touting 'Trustworthy Computing' which on a whole has made virii writers write more just to make them look like arses.

I agree with your point that if Apple's marketshare was higher that there would be more virii...but it is not and won't be for a while if ever (this coming from an Apple shareholder and programmer whose daily earnings revolve around selling software on a Mac). If you put an XServe in an enterprise situation...it will not get nearly as many virii as a Windows box if any...simply because Apple has the lower marketshare and not because Mac OS X is more secure. I know how secure X is and it scares me....in fact I have written virii and exploits for many simple things...but have never released them.

"This again is a mute point. Every piece of software available for a Mac has a windows version available too, or there is a quality piece of software for windows that does the same thing."

Puhhhlleease do not try and use this point against a Mac. We have tons of innovate software that cannot possibly appear on the Windows platform because it hooks deep into Mac OS X.

Two blatant examples are Hydra and OmniGraffle which truly cannot be reincarnated on a Windows boxen without heaps of work and don't exist in any form.

Today I am writing software that will never see the light of day on a PC...and its innovative. I am trained in VC++ and was contemplating rewriting them for Windows (they have to do with the iPod...and there are 1/2million iPod customers on Windows) but the sheer effort it would take to rewrite the app in VC++ or C# is truly not worth it. Its the same with those two apps above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom