I screwed up a game with ATI tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

lev2323

In Runtime
OK, I am gonna start off by saying that I have done a real dumb thing. Dont ask why I did this, or even thought about it,...cause I can't answer that.

Anyways, I was playing World of Warcraft and I decided to OC my vid card. I do this every once in a while jus for some extra performance. So, instead of quiting the game, I alt+tabbed out and opened ATI tool. With the game minimized, I proceeded with to OC to my normal, stable OC. I then closed ATI tool and re-entered WoW. When I got back in, the screen was all screwed up and it almost looked like the memory had overheated (weird colors, no snow, but it all was shaped from the middle of the screen, like a vortex or something). So anyways, I quit WoW and restarted it and ever thing was fine. But now, ever once inawhile, usually after the game loads something, it does it again. And when it screws up, I exit the game and Windows is messed up. So I have to restart to be able to see the screen properly. I figure I have to reinstall the game, but just wanna make sure. And anyways, I am home from school and the CDs are back at my apartment.

I am almost 100% sure it is not overheating. After this has happenned I have ran HL2 with no probs and 3Dmark05 with no probs. So I guess the OC screwed some of the files for the game. Since then, I uninstalled ATI tool to see if that would help, but no go. What do you guys think? HELP!

And if you play WoW, I play on Thunderhorn and my name is Sufferings.

you could re-install windows, may seem a bit drastic but it could fix your problem and speed up your computer as well. Other than that, a driver update might be in order, or look for driver updates as well.

Wayne

I already tried reinstalling and updating the drivers. I may try reinstalling XP, but the software isnt with me. And I keep my PC pretty clean, it is pretty fast.

how about reinstalling WoW and see if maybe on a weird fluke it solves the problems. Other than that, it's kind of odd that it doesn't work on that and completely screws up windows and 3dmark and HL2 work just fine...so that's kinda why I suggest trying to install WoW

Just an update, I flashed the BIOS on a chance that the screw up had changed anything there, and I havent had the problem yet. I could of been just real luckylast night, but it looks good. Hopefully it is fixed, because the reinstall of WoW takes about 45 mins and then two patched have to be downloaded and installed. Thanks for the replies guys, I will let you know if I can't figure it out.

Why would you reinstall windows?...

Well every so often its good to re-install windows. Your computer gets junked up, and slows down, the hdd gets fragmented, and it starts behaving weirdly, thats the symptoms of a damaged os, and the cure is backup and format. Many people on this forum do take good care of thier os's by defragging, chkdsk, virus protection which is good, but still if you cant fix a problem sometimes a re-install will fix it.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom