win 98 shut down issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohh man,...are you kidding me!?! dude, did you check for physical defects with the mobo and expansion cards?

checked for defects. I redid what i had posted that worked earlier. And again the system would shut down did a test of 10 shut downs and on the 10th shutdown it restarted instead of shutting down. So, i redid the steps again and the system shutdown for 5 tests. I went to bed got up this morning and then the system restarts on shutdown. grrr real pain !!!! I think that i am getting close with this.

Its seems like something is running at shutdown that is preventing the system from shutting down. Several times i have been given the screen that says program is not responding ... do you want to end task, wait or cancel. If i click cancel and wait it will shut down sometimes but not all of the time.

when i hit ctrl/alt/delete right before shut down this is what is still running :

Explorer
systray
atitask
aticwd32

ok .. now with the advanced power management support disabled .. it will shut down totally. i am letting it sit for a while and will try restarting and shutting down again to see if it still works with it disabled.

ok.. here is what is happening. I disabled the advanced power management support. Shut down and restarted the system... i then shutdown the computer totally successfully. After that i let the computer sit for a while and restarted and shut down and it shut down totally. then i did it again just to be sure. So, I decided to unplug the computer from the surge protector let it site for 10 minutes. plugged it back in and without even touching the power the computer booted up. I then attempted to shut down the computer and it restarted. does this help at all? Any suggestions or ideas?

thanks in advances for your help!!

ok .. computer was shut down ... i am sitting here typing message and all of a sudden i hear it booting up. no one touched it... it just booted up on its own. It has been shut down for like 10 to 15 minutes

sounds like theres something not right in the "power management" in the bios. go to the bios look for this tab/option or something that says power. read each detail carefully....or load optimized settings(theres a particular key that you have to press to load it) otherwise you'll have to set it one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom