How do I upgrade my cpu? Can I go from 800 celeron to p4 1.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
your celeron 800 is either a socket 370 or slot 1, chances are its the 370 The best upgrade for you is to a pentium 3 1.4ghz and. To upgrade to better components than a p3 1.4, youll probly need new mobo, ram, and cpu.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'm going to start searching for a chip in my mobo's range.

What would be the difference between a Celeron and a Pentium rated the same speed? I know the celeron will be cheaper, but what is the performance difference that I will notice, if any?

Also, any good resources for removing and installing a cpu chip? I feel comfortable inside a computer, but I've never done this before.

wow, someone else, prob. someone who OC's a bit will have to answer the chip question. as i know it, the Pentium is a bit more robust, it will take a bit more abuse... beyond that i'll let someone else take a stab at it...

as far as replacing the cpu chip, would you like me to write a tut for ya?

found these... http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...050.pdf+how+to+cpu+replacement+tutorial&hl=en

and this is a good one
http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ed...&Atype=Tutorial&Itype=&PCatID=1012&CatID=1160

if you need more detail... or step by step... let me know, i write those kinds of things for a living. it would be nothing to whip one out for ya

A Celeron is nothing more than an economy grade version of a Pentium chip. The highest clock speed for a Celeron is usually 40%-60% lower than the fastest Pentium clock speed. Celerons have a smaller amount of Cache, and usually less programming. Overall... you pay for what you get on both sides, but the Pentium class chip really blows the Celeron away. Celerons are fine for basic use... checking your email, buying things online, surfing the web...

As for removing the CPU and installing a new one, here is a demonstration on installing Pentium 4's... but it will be pretty much the same concept for Pentium 3.

Rizinc4,
thanks for the details. that's what i wanted to say but didn't have the data to back it up....
good post.

Thanks man... I THINK they even have lower bus speeds... not sure if this is still true because I know the Celerons took a big leap forward with their clock speeds so why not the bus speeds to aye?

Again, thanks for all your info. The installation videos were wonderful Rizinc.

My next question. After doing more research and finding out what motherboard I have and what it is upgradable to, I have found that I can take any celeron/pIII cpu with up to 100mhz fsb. I have found this will take me up to 1.4 in both celeron or pIII. All of the retail sites I've checked have virtually nothing in socket 370. So naturally, I turn to eBay. I've found a few people selling 1.4 used with heat sink and fan.

My question is: If I buy used, when I install the heatsink on the cpu, do I need to get the "gel" stuff that helps transfer the heat between the two? If so, what is it called, and where do I get it.

Yes you do... unless the one you are buying is brand new, retail, never been used. To buy it seperate look for Arctic Silver 5. Its supposidly the best out there and I believe it only costs 8 dollars or so.

Time to put an end to this one:
Celeron 800-1400 MHz/Coppermine/Tualatin were made only on the Socket 370 interface. Pentium 4 1.6 (I think)-3.4GHz/Celeron 1.6-3.06GHz were on the Socket 478 interface. You can't rip off the 108 pins and shove the thing in there! Sorry for being harsh, but this dragged on longer than it should have.

First of all, you need to make sure that your motherboard is capable of running processors on the Socket 370 FC-PGA2 package. The FC-PGA2 was used on processors on the Tualatin core and they did not work in standard 370 mobos w/o a converter due to the varying voltages. Anyways, make sure that you check if it is on Tualatin or Coppermine. You should be able to run anything Coppermine, I don't think Tualatin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom