OC'ing harming my hard drive???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion2005

In Runtime
Alright... I was overclocking my FSB... sending it to the very extent. Ive got watercooling on my CPU, so I was trying to squeeze every little bit I could. I wasnt even getting near 40c. The thing holding me back was my voltage I think. I didnt really mess around with that.

Well, one time I set everything down a bit, cause I saw all these glitches over the Win2k startup screen. After I set them down... right after the BIOS is done booting everything up, a black screen is there and it says at the top "NTLDR is missing. Push Ctrl Alt Del to restart" I was thinking, oh ****... my hard drive has failed.

I put the drive in a friends computer as slave. Win2k booted up on his master, and it automatically started checking my hard drive for consistency. It got done with all this shit, and repaired all these errors.

I get it back in my machine, and there is all these corrupted files. I had to reinstall windows. Now the drive is working fine. I am just wondering if that overclock effected my hard drive, or if this just somehow happened. I am pretty sure it had something to do with the overclock, but I just dont exactly know how.

Well the only reason I could see the overclock messing up your hard drive would be if you didn't lock the AGP/PCI bus which would then potentially fry all PCI based items including HD's and CD-ROMs

I had that happen once from just random restarts happening and the HD didn't like it and I had to reformat.

Thats about all I can think of =/

Did you at least try booting to Windows after you got that error message (before you took it to your friends PC)? I get those sometimes when i try ramping my FSB past 240MHz, but a reboot and adjusted settings will fix it no problems. Most of the time you don't need to reformat when you get them..unless a repair install wont work and you've tried everything else.

It also might be preventable with a modded BIOS, they will ususally let you overclock FSB ALOT higher than manufacturer BIOS.

That day I ended up reinstalling windows... I didnt have a choice... I tried the repair install, but it said it needed some kind of emergency disk. I didnt really care, I just reinstalled windows. All my files were still there in the end. And I had them backed up on my friends computer.

So... I dont know if the PCI bus was locked or not. Everything but that one hard drive is fine. I have 2 other CD ROMS and another hard drive. The drive it effected was obviously my master, and I have it in a 5.25 bay... and there is those plastic umm what do ya call ems.. they hold the CD ROMS in usually. I think maybe not enough heat is getting transfered to the case and it overheated.... Is that a possibility?

Legion2005 said:
but it said it needed some kind of emergency disk.

it just needs your XP install CD, thats all mine required. Just liek you though it didn't recover correctly and i had to reformat. glad now actually....240FSB with new OS installed:)

overheating is a possibility...but it would take a really hot temp to screw ur HD. unless it's really old which i dont think it is...

no, its not really old... and btw I have win 2k... but your probably right, I didnt do something right. Oh well... I think I'll just figure I screwed it all up by overclocking. The drive has been running perfectly stable for about a week now. Thx for the info though guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom