Radeon PCI Express Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laser

Baseband Member
Alright, i have recently been reading on several hardware websites that there is going to be a release of a new PCI express line from ATI. I was just wondering, should i wait until the new PCI express cards come out to purchase a new graphics cards that is on the AGP platform. My biggest reason for waiting would be a drop in price for the AGP cards, but since the PCI to AGP cards are pretty much going to be comarable, would this even be worthwhile, or should i just wait entirely until the next big release of cards from the 2 major manufacturers. Any help on this would be greeeeaaaaatttt...

From what I've been hearing, the Radeon X800 line on PCI-express are going to totally dominate the AGP versions. However, there is still no pixel shader 3.0 support. :confused:

So being as the PCI express line is going to totally dominate the AGP versions, would it be safe to say that with the new release the prices on the AGP ones will ultimately go down..?

When are they going to start actually utilizing PCI-E is the right question. Currently I believe it's the X850 that uses the most bandwidth out of PCI-E but other than that card in particular the other ones don't use the bandwidth PCI-E is supposed to deliver to it's full potential. Currently it's not worth getting PCI-E IMO, but I also tell people that going to AMD64 isn't really all that needed right now either.

Sure it's "futureproof" I guess, but not really, because by the time all of it's fully taken advantage of, it'll be time to upgrade anyway and I will have saved my money opposed to trying to get the latest and greatest right away.

PCI-E will take over AGP, that's no doubt....but how long will it take them to really make use of it? That's what you gotta find out.

would it be safe to say that with the new release the prices on the AGP ones will ultimately go down..?
Well in the case of the 6600GT the AGP is more expensive. Things like SDRAM are ridiculously expensive because it's old and rare, so the few people who need it are screwed by having the price jacked up when technically it should go down. And by rare I don't mean like rare in the literal sense that it's hard to find, but most people are to DDR now.

Prices should drop unless they do to AGP what's been happening to older RAM.......but then again it's all about supply and demand.

Once PCI-E is fully utilized AGP should drop though......hopefully :p

check it...

nvidia has been throwing many cards on the market and ati has acknowledged that these cards (6x00) have been one hell of a step for nvida considering how u get more performance out of a piece of paper than the fx series.

ati has been releasing the x800 and x850 series because they cant leave the 9800xt as their fastest card when nvidia has the 6800 ultra ee as their fastest. the x800 and x850 are just jacked up versions of the 9x series. why would they do this?.... because they have been working on the r520 core for over a year. when this card is released.... i wouldnt be suprised if nvidia went out of business (which will not happen... lol). nvidia will not be able to keep up with the r520. i know for a fact (100%) that nvidia's next line of cards are going to be a joke to their competitor just like the 9x series was to the ti and fx.

Use AGP, your current system is far too good to actually do an overhaul. If you were going to get an AGP card, then get yourself a GeForce 6800GT since right now that is the best card out there on AGP other than the X800... ChipX I know you're gonna say the X800 is better, but I'm going to disagree with you. I like the Radeons better on PCIe cause the GeForce 6xxx totally dominate AGP right now.

wait for the pci express line to come out because if you get an AGP now it will get outdated in only a matter of time

megadeth, im not going to disagree with u.

the x800 xt pe on agp does outperform the 6800 ultra... but for the cost of it... its not worth the extra performance considering u can softmod the GT to the ultra which is like half the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom