Help with instalation of extra harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckey

In Runtime
As topic stated I would like it if ya'll could help me. I installed a new Harddrive on my computer. A 120Gb 7200rpm. Now I heard cableselect is the easiest thing to do. Well now I am being yelled at friends about how CS sucks. So I was like ill just set it up Master and Slave. Then another techie friend mention something about Raid and started speaking foreign language. Any idea how to do the raid?

P.S. if possible could you say it slow. Thanks guys.

o-k d-u-c-k-e-y
h-e-r-e i-s w-h-a-t y-o-u n-e-e-d t-o d-o
J/K J/k

what are you installing the HD for? is it just a backup drive, extra storage space? financial info or family pics?
it all depends.

Raid can be set up (i believe) within windows, however i would not recomend that.
typically you would need a motherboard that supported it, or an extra piece of hardware that is called a "Raid Controller"
there are dif. types of Raid configurations, and depending on what you are trying to achieve, you would set it up diferently.
can you answer some of this first to get started please.

thanks

try this too... in windows XP (if you have it...) right click on my computer and select manage...
in the second section named "storage" select Disk Management... you have very simple user friendly options there. ;) i would have to say it may not be the BEST way to do this, but it does work.
sorry for the double post.
good luck

You can set up a RAID-0 array out of 2 hard drives to give you better performance. Or, you can set up a RAID-1 array which will give you fault tolerance.

There's more RAID technologies, but XP only supports RAID 0, 1, and 5. RAID-5 requires at least 3 hard drives.

Here's a pretty slick site that I found that explains RAID arrays:
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

Set it as slave using the little jumper. Then hook it up.
It shoudl appear in My Computer.
If not:

start>run
type: diskmgmt.msc

And make sure the drive is listed there and assign a driveletter. Format there if it does not have a partition or is unformatted. Post a screenshot if unsure.

As Major Said, make sure jumpers are set to slave or else windows will not detect it if your other HDD is master also.

I had that problem a while back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom