Xp Crash Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distressed

Beta member
here's the shim-bam. I installed Avast Antiviruis 4 on an XPSP1 system. The system has a nvdia geforce400 graphics card, AMD ATHELON, 30G HD, 512DDR. Anyways the system went into a loop, would try to boot up and hang. Then, it would try to boot from safe mode and hang. Then it would boot up, reboot, and keep going for eternity. I used a windows 98 startup disk and fdisk'd the harddrive. and i'm kind of lost from there as far as using fdisk correctly. Anyways, I tried to install XP Pro(non bootable... copied disk) and it told me smartdrv is not detected. Setup copied the files to my HD and (after about 4 hours) told me there was an error. The stop code is 0x00000067 CONFIG_INITILIZATION_FAILED. Then I tried to use the boot disk I got from Microsoft(the 6 disk series) and it said one of the files was corrupted. Then I used my win98 boot disk and tried to run setup from my CDDRIVE:\>i386\winnt.exe. It gave me the "smartdrv yada yada" again then did the same thing as before config fault. My command prompt(not really dos) does not have himem.sys, or any otherfiles such as smartdrive are anything else. What can I do. Please someone help.

doesn't work... says some files are corrupted like ntldr and a few others. changes everytime but mostly the files that start with ntldr, ntkernel(I think)... you know... all the important ones

one of the computers at my school had the ntldr file missing, couldn't replace it from the one on the computer i was using because they frieken restrict our access.

if your trying to do a new install put in your win 98 startup disk fprmat from a: then boot reboot from your windows XP disk and install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom