Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
no primary and slave are not a Raid configuration. rest easy... like i said, run a scan disk every now and then if you're worried and you'll be ok... just try not to crash it ;)

edit. in truth it does happen, but it's not that big a deal, and nothing to worry about. i would be more worried about spyware, addware, and viruses ;)

dont quote me on this but cant bad sectors develop if your hd's are running too hot?...i know im not a pro or anything but im just throwing some things out there

oh iceydeath well yes!! as some of earlier post says... And Roshi here you again made me worried. ( in truth it does happen ) grrr.. :S so i better not then boot two hardisk and this is why i want to do... just wanna transfer all mah datas from bad sector hdd to the new one.

run a scandisk...
assuming this is a windows XP machine you would open my computer, and right click the drive you would like to fix.
when you right click select properties and go to the tools tab
at the top there is something called Error-checking
click the button that says check now
select both options to automatically fix and scan for and automatically try to fix bad sectors...

in older versions it will be in the start menue same place you would find disk defrag. called scandisk.

you can also do this from DOS

once you have done that, it should correct the problem. if not, go ahead and run a virus scan of that disk to be sure the files are not infected... www.symantec.com should have a free online scan available if you don't own virus protection software.

at that point there is not much else you can do but try to copy the files over... it may work it may not. if not then it will tell you that, but won't ruin the new hard drive if you've done what i said above...
worst case, you'll have to reformat the drive.

good luck

edit** again i add to this that a bad sector is not spyware or virus, therefore it will not hurt you to boot the pc with both drives installed, the bad sectors will not jump around on the hard drive or from one to the other. they are not files... picture it like a scratch on your sunglasses,... that scratch won't jump to your face b/c you put the glasses on... there is no need to panic...
good luck and i hope scan disk can fix them up for you...

take care

Bad sectors cannot be fixed. Scandisk will try to recover the data, move it to a new cluster, zero-fill the bad sectors, update the FAT and mark them "bad".

Myth #1 :
Formatting a hard disk too many times will cause it to fail.
Truth :
To put it shortly, formatting your hard disk will NOT reduce its lifespan. Yes, formatting is popularly thought to reduce hard disk lifespan but that is nothing more than a myth.
Formatting is NOT a stressful event for the hard disk. The read/write heads do NOT touch the platter surface, so damage to the platter only occurs if there is any shock to the drive during operation. You can format your hard disk 20 times a day, every day and it will not be more likely to fail than any other drive.
Myth #2 :
Formatting a hard disk causes a layer of *whatever* to be deposited on the platter surface, causing bad sectors to form.
Truth :
Formatting will not deposit any layer of "anything" on the platter. The hard disk is a sealed environment so there is very little dust inside the hard disk. Even if there is dust, why would formatting deposit anything on the platter?
Myth #3 :
Formatting the hard disk will stress the needle (head actuator).
Truth :
Formatting is done contiguously. This means formatting is done in a serial order, i.e. sector 500, sector 501, sector 502, etc. There is very little movement of the head actuators.
Therefore, formatting will not stress the head actuators.
Myth #4 :
Defragmenting the hard disk will stress the needle (head actuator).
Truth :
That is actually contrary to the truth. Defragmenting the hard disk may involve a lot of seeking as the hard disk rearranges its data in a contiguous fashion. This allows the read/write heads to read large amounts of data without seeking all over the platters.
However, after defragmentation, the hard disk no longer needs to seek all over the platters for your data. This reduces the amount of head actuator movements as well as greatly increase the hard disk's read/write performance.
Therefore, while it may be technically correct to say that defragmenting your hard disk will stress the head actuators, the truth is defragmenting your hard disk will reduce the amount of seeking from then on and thus reduce the head actuators' workload.
Myth #5 :
If your hard disk has bad sectors, formatting will cause more bad sectors to appear!
Truth :
If your hard disk has bad sectors from recurrent head crashes, then the number of bad sectors is GUARANTEED to increase as time goes by.
The reason for the increased number of bad sectors when you format the hard disk is because formatting your hard disk reveals the new bad sectors! Don't forget, when you format the hard disk, the format utility will check for and reveal the new bad sectors.
So, formatting will not increase the number of bad sectors in a failing hard disk. It just reveals what's going on.
Myth #6 :
Downloading too much *stuff* from the Internet will reduce your hard disk's lifespan.
Truth :
Downloading "stuff" into your hard disk all the time will not reduce your hard disk's lifespan.
Remember, your hard disk is continuously spinning even when it is not reading or writing. As long as it is spinning, it is just as likely to die when it is idling as it is when it is reading or writing data.
Myth #7 :
Insufficient power causes bad sectors in hard disks.
Truth :
Insufficient power or power cuts won't create bad sectors in your hard disk. Whenever there is not enough power or a power cut, the head actuators automatically park the heads so that there is no risk of head crashes on the platters.
So, there is no way insufficient power can cause bad sectors.
Myth #8 :
Cheap power supplies will "slowly kill" your hard disk.
Truth :
Cheap power supplies will NOT "slowly kill" hard disks. If a cheap power supply fries and sends a power surge to your hard disk, it kills the hard disk instantly.
If it cannot provide enough power, your hard disk won't run properly or just plain won't run at all.
Myth #9 :
If your hard disk keeps spinning up and down, that is because the power supply sometimes has enough power to spin up the hard disk and sometimes, it cannot provide enough power and the hard disk spins down again.
Truth :
If there is a loss of power or insufficient power to the hard disk, it will power down and cause the computer to hang. Even if power is restored, the hard disk won't resume operation like nothing happened. You will need to reboot the computer.
The spin-up, spin-down activity is actually a symptom of the hard disk's recalibration process.
Myth #10 :
Head parking is the cause of loud clicks from your hard disk.
Truth :
That can either be a symptom of the hard disk's thermal recalibration process or it can be due to head crashes on the platters.
Myth #16 :
Some bad sectors are "virtual" bad sectors that can be repaired by formatting the hard disk.
Truth :
There are also no such things as virtual bad sectors and physical bad sectors.
A bad sector is a sector that cannot be written to or read from properly. It can be due to an eroded media or direct physical damage to the media. It cannot be repaired by any software and formatting will not restore it.
Myth #17 :
There is nothing to worry about bad sectors because you can "erase" them by formatting the hard disk.
Truth :
True, low level formatting can replace bad sectors with good sectors on the spare tracks that are part of every hard disk.
However, performance suffers because the heads have to seek to the spare tracks. In addition, there are only a limited number of spare sectors available on any hard disk.
Finally, bad sectors are a sign that something is wrong with the hard disk. Even if it was due to a single head crash, that traumatic event would have created debris within the platter compartment and a damaged head. The debris can gradually cause scratches and erosions on other parts of the platter while a damaged head will not be aerodynamically stable and will be more likely to crash in the future.
In other words, if you have critical data, it would be a smart thing to back up your data and replace the hard disk when you start detecting bad sectors. The hard disk may go on for a long time without more bad sectors appearing but the risk of it dying is real and should not be ignored.
Myth #18 :
You must format your hard disk every <insert duration of choice> to improve performance.
Truth : This is yet another common fallacy. Formatting your hard disk regularly will NOT improve your hard disk's performance.
If you notice a significant degradation in your hard disk's performance after several months, this is because the data in the hard disk has become so fragmented that the read/write heads have to seek all over the hard disk while reading or writing data.
Try defragmenting your hard disk, instead of simply formatting it.
Myth #19 : The hard disk can only be installed in the horizontal position.
Truth : Hard disks can be installed in any position - horizontal, vertical, even upside down!
Myth #20 : If you want to use a hard disk in the vertical position, you must first reformat it in the vertical position!
Truth : Hard disks will work in any position. You do NOT need to reformat it before using it in vertical position or even upside down!

Nice post Cappy.

In my opinion a drive's lifespan decreases with any activity. More or less.

Formatting only empties the FAT, and does not search for bad sectors. Only XP's "normal" format does, because it includes a scandisk.

I use my drives upside down regularly, no problems at all.

I have a question though. What's the noise a harddrive makes during activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom