Freezing During Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp

In Runtime
I seem to be having a problem.

Whenevr I play a game it freezes after a certain amount of time. Sometimes it's 10 minutes, sometimes it's 10 hours.

I think this is a overheating problem but is there a sure fire way of knowing? My bios is saying my temperature is around 45 C and the fan speed is 2800 RPS (I think) but I can't be sure if this is the problem.

1 time it crashes I sent an error report and here's the result:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

I am not overclocking anything
My PSU could be the problem. Is there any way of finding out?
According to "Memtest" my memory is fine

So my only other options are CPU or PSU. I'd like to know if I could find out the exact problem using a program of some sort?

Thanks to those who help, this is becoming a real pain and I don't want to spend money unless I'm positive it will rectify the problem.

Nah it's not the gfx card problem.

It's onboard for starters. But I did once have a gfx card "9600 XT" but it did the exact same thing with that installed.

Dude...seriously...chill. Be patient. Stop bumping your post. If no one's answering, it's because no one has an answer. This forum ain't moving so fast that you're streaming off the screen every five minutes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, just because your vid card is onboard, doesn't mean it can't still overheat and cause problems. The physics are still the same, attached or not.

It's good that you tested another card and had the same problems. That puts us past a lot.

Check your drivers and do a general cleaning and update of everything. If that doesn't smooth things out, you can move in another direction. Examine your other hardware (specifically your RAM and Proc and HDD) for problems, and try swapping some things out. Try a new PSU.

45C is fine for a CPU...in fact, that's like idle.
There's one etherial "sure-fire" way of testing if your machine is getting too hot. Turn the machine off, let it completely cool till the heatsinks are cold. Then fire it up and let it run (no apps) for like ten minutes. Then touch the heatsinks. If your fingerprints disappear, you've got a heat problem. If the heatsinks are just luke-warm or coffee-mug hot, you're fine.

I'd be willing to bet if it's hardware it's either your HDD or your PSU, and if it's software it's either your directX, video drivers, sound drivers, or your power-settings.

I'm sorry about the bumping. I was only bumping once a day.

I don't think it's a software issue. Windows XP has been installed around 7 times on this computer. So that leaves me with a hardware issue. Tomorrow I'm going to a computer fair and I'll make sure to pick up a PSU. If that's not the problem then I guess that leaves CPU which I really hope is not the problem.

Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom