PartitionMagic bug? Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
I have been partitioning my HD lately, using PM.
Then used SUSE setup to create ext/reiser partitions.

The other day I opened Partition Magic8 from windows, and it said "The harddrives' LBA and CHS values are wrong. Do you want PartitionMagic to correct them?"

I clicked yes, and afterwards all partitions were displayed as 1 single partition labeled: "BAD"

Windows diskmanager and fdisk had no problems detecting all partitions on that particular drive.

Partition magic refused to make any changes to that entire HD. Format and delete were unavailabe.

This is just a warning: Don't click yes without knowing what you are doing.

I think SUSE somehow partitions the drive a different way.

Try opening your partitions up with CFDISK, and see if it gives you an error. If it does use fdisk to delete the partition and recreate it with CFDISK.

If you can't access SUSE use a liveCD off the internet such as Knoppix or Stockwith (there are others.)

Links:
http://www.stockwith.co.uk/iso/

I already deleted them with FDISK. I just deleted all of them and made new partitions with Partition Magic.

Hi,
I have been experimenting recently with Mandrake and Fedora Core 3 dual booting against XP.
Ar first I got a few problems until I found out what was going wrong.
I was using Partition Magic in XP and then I would get an error when trying to boot into Linux.
Then I saw the fault.
When installing Mandrake I noticed it set itself up on a few partitions which it named HDA10 HDA11 Hda12 then in the error when booting up it said it couldnt find the swap partition on HDA5 and there was a corrupted magic number in the superblock on HDA6 :confused:
What I think had happened was that PM had renumbered the partitions and Linux couldnt find it.

The problems with PM not recognising them and labelling them bad only happened to me with Fedora and PM couldnt do anything with them but the Disk manager in XP deleted them no probs.

I am only using Linux for educational purposes so I have set it up on an old 40GB HD and I just switch the plug between HD's when I want to change over, I know its a bit fiddly but it protects each OS from each other.
If I need to share files I just use a CD or Mem stick.

Up to now I think XP is still the best and Linux is a buggy amateur effort and I think all the proporganda is a load of rubbish, but thats my opinion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom