Help! I can't access my own folders and files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve M said:
True. Definately worth a shot.

What do you guys think about xfering the files through DOS from the slave back to the master. He will probably get truncated file names but at least he will have his data. Just lookin for a second opinion and another opinion!

i'm thinking that would be a long tut to write... unless you can google for the step by step
other than that it just may work...
i was also thinking the same thing... win9x boot disk, and xcopy, but for that i would put the 6gig hd he was talking about as the master... reformating it and then just copy all files over to that one drive, slave the 6G drive to the original P4 new master and it may work, then again if there is a security setting or durring the reinstall windows "locked" that file, you may get it transfered but still be unable to open it in the OS...
i'm thinking it's time for big guns and data recovery... just what i'm thinking

lol, and i'm not so "up and up" on my cmd prompt or dos anymore, i dont know that i could do a good job... i'll try and find something online...

A little better Picture for your folder permissions settings.

another option to get your old data

If my memory serves me correctly, you should be able cut and paste the stuff inside the folders (but not the folders themselves as you still wouldn't be able to access them outside of safe mode if you didn't change their Priviledges ) from your old owner's documents to your new document's folder

you don't have to go through all of that data recovery stuff. you data is not lost. the permissions are just changed. if you tranfer through DOS NOW (it might have work at a earlier stage), you will still have the same problem.

I been there, done that. It don't work

EricB,
i fear that you may be correct!
in my whole "at this point, it's worth a shot" attitude i've provided the information, however i would suggest, for the same attitude to try Eric's suggestion. Since you've followed Steves wonderful guides and that didn't work, i think Eric may have the next best possible solution and it sounds promicing... the more i think about it i remember having to do something like that before... don't remember if it worked or not.

good luck, i'm done posting for now... i'll await responce as to what you've tried and what did/didn't work.

thanks

I have previously tried to simply open, copy, or move the folder when operating in safe mode, but I didn't mess with the settings like Eric suggested. I'll try that first.

FYI: Something strange, though is when I place my cursor on the folder, it says "folder is empty" and properties shows the folder is 0 bites, 0 size on disk and holds 0 folders and 0 files. I wonder if that tech that worked on it somehow screwed up that folder and its contents. There should be 30 or 40 folders inside it and at least 7-900 meg of data inside those folders. :confused: Do you really think it is empty or simply not revealing the contents because of the "Access is Denied" issue? If it truly is empty, the entire point is moot.

Hopefully those are just shortcut links.

when I was in your shoes, I went crazy . it took me a week after countless reformatting and copying techniques, before I figure that out

I had countless important data. I learned to disable your passwords before install something over your old stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom