Help! I can't access my own folders and files

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll it sounds like you followed the instructions to the "T". And yes you followed the administrator login instructions perfectly.

Your only other options are to leave the drives in Master and Slave and create a bootdisk then attempt to copy the files through DOS although copying through DOS will leave files with truncated names it will at least get you your files back.

If that process doesn't work then you will need to take it to a tech who can work on it hands on. I wouldn't however take it back to the original tech who attempted to xfer the data based on your descriptions of what he was not able to do.

There are always other options. Such as data recovery software, the DOS xfer I mentioned etc. As long as the drive is still accessable/not physically damaged and the data not completely corrupted {it doesnt appear to be due to the error messages you receive} any compitent tech having your computer in front of them will be able to recover your data.

And if anyone else has any suggestions on how to solve it without physically working on it I would definately love to hear some suggestions!

go into safe mode as adminstrator.

open explorer. document and settings, owner's documents

right click folder, pick properties. set the priviledges to everyone. I will post back in a minute. I am going into to safe mode to give you the exact correct steps. I did the same thing to my computer 2 years ago. I couldn't get to my files after I reinstall xp and tried to use the same name. I fix it in safe mode.

Sorry but it has not a thing to do with safe mode. The OS on the slave drive is not in use. Therefore it cannot actively lock files or put them in use because it is acting as a storage drive not an active OS.

Thanks for trying though Eric........

just a quick note, for some reason, and i've seen this happen as well, installing a new copy of XP "over" the old OS seems to lock the accounts. as XP recognizes the files are there, due to them coming from the old OS they seem to be locked out of XP, if i can remember how i fixed this, i'll post it... but for now i'm thinking it took some hard work...

Anyway.....

Steve don't start.

you go into safe mode rightclick the owner documents, select properties, select security, you will some options there too, but click on the advance tab. here you have the options for all of the folder permissions and you can change them.

I couldn't capture a page in safe mode. I will upload a picture from my camera. hopefully you can see it

i would have to say, try it in safe mode... you may both be correct on this one, but as a fluke the limited processes and securities running in the OS within safe mode may allow access... it's worth a shot.

True. Definately worth a shot.

What do you guys think about xfering the files through DOS from the slave back to the master. He will probably get truncated file names but at least he will have his data. Just lookin for a second opinion and another opinion!

3rd. this page has the most options. play with the settings. I remember the first 2 times I change a setting it didn't work. but the third time it did. but that was 2 years ago. I don't actually remember what the exact setting was, but I know it was on the last 2 pages, either under the Permission tab or the Effective permissions tab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom