Boot Hang with Abit BP-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzy0520

Beta member
I have a problem that I am looking for some help on. After putting everything together and booting up after installing Windows, I ran into a weird sound driver crash, so I decided to re-install windows. I booted from the floppy, formatted, started "setup" and after the first auto restart in the install, the computer boots, posts fine (no errors, no beep codes), recognizes the floppy, CD-Rom and the hard drive....goes thru the highpoint controller screen, then the screen flashes to a black screen and the cursor just sits at the top left of the screen. (I can't move the cursor either) There is a audible "click" that would normally be followed by the computer going to access a(Floppy,Rom, HD) drive.I have no idea what's going on. I can't even get it to boot to any drive now. I've tried changing the boot sequence order too. (Still nothing)It always hangs at that same point every time. It's an dated system, but most of it was brand new. I got the motherboard and cpu's new from a freind that was going to build a server years ago and never got around to it. I was going to eventually use the computer as a Linux box so I could try my hand with that OS instead of Windows.
Here are the specs
Motherboard Abit BP-6 (NEW)
CPU Dual Celeron 266's (NEW)
128 mb PC100 Mushkin RAM (NEW)
13.0 Gig Maxtor Diamond Max HD (OLD)
3dfx Voodoo 3000 Video Card (OLD)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Audio Card (OLD)
Realtek Ethernet Adapter (NEW)
Big Server ATX Case w/Sparkle 300w PS

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm scratching my head on this one. The computer was running fine now nothing.

:mad:

Thanks! I was thinking that was probably a Mobo issue. I can't flash the bios, because the system hangs before getting to any of the drives ;o(. So it can't even access the floppy to flash from. I'll check the caps on the board too. Thanks for the help. Just not being able to find the exact cause/problem drive me nuts! I'm going to try taking out the audio and ethernet cards, one of the processors, and hook the hard drive to the Highpoint controller and see if that might jump start it.
I've had a bunch of Abit Mobo's and never had a problem, this is the first I've heard of "cap" issues. Is this an abit problem or will all mobo's? I might just pick up a new ASUS or ABIT Mobo and a Athlon XP CPU, Any problems with your ABIT Mobo? I know there are 3 versions of that NF-7, any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom