which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whIteguI420

Beta member
i need a hard drive and was looking at some 80gig ones on newegg. i was just wondering if their is a big diffrence between 2mb buffer and 8mb buffer. also will an 'oem only' work with mine. i have a msi p4mam-v with p4 celeron processor 1.8ghz. also i have 1stick of 512ram and i am going to order another stick for the other dimm, should i get another stick of 512 or should i get a stick of 1gig to add to it. im not a huge gamer but i am starting to get in to computer games i got half life 2..if that helps with anything? please help me.

just get another stick of 512mb RAM now, the prices for 1gig are too high for my blood (but maybe not for yours).

make sure though to see if your mobo can even handle a 1gig stick in it's slots....if you got 512mb in now, then you know you're safe, but your mobo may not support it!

if you can afford it, go for it, but adding a second stick should be fine if you're not a "huge gamer".

go for a HDD w/ 8mb buffer, it means it will read/cover more area on the HDD so it can access it faster...the higher the number...the better! and look for 7,200 or 10,000 rpm speed.

i'd stick w/ name brand ones also..Western Dig, Seagate, Hitachi, Maxtor..etc.

7200 rpm drive is the limit of speed for an ATI drive
you may go higher as 7200 is the min. speed for a SATA drive. if it's an older board, chances are it's not SATA as this is new. check to see what you have before you purchase. ;) and "OEM only" i'm not sure what you mean, but a hard drive is a hard drive. some are better than others but as long as you know what matches your motherboard as far as type (ATA, SATA, or SCSI) then you should be ok. enjoy.

by the way, if you find a couple drives feel free to post links to them, we'll compaire and give you the ups and downs of each.

OEM are products that are simply sold with the cold, raw hardware, nothing more. They generally have shorter warranties than retail.

well i understand that... but to purchase an OEM part usually means it matches the factory specs for a specific make and model you are replacing a part for... at least that's how it is with cars and trucks and everything else i've known to use the term OEM... have computer parts generalized this term for cheeper bare bones hardware components?

PS... OEM = Original Equipment something??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom