Should a person go xp athlon or is 64 necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's the Gigabyte K8N Pro
*edit* hang on, no that's the K8NS, well it's still a pretty good board too

garaa posted a socket 939 board, you will need a socket 939 CPU to go with it if you decide to get that board, they start at 3000+'s which cost about $150 each

I have decided to go with an athlon 64 2800 and a gigabyte mobod. I have a couple of questions now concerning the cpu. I have heard that the heatsink and fan that come with the retail package are not so good. ??? What is your take? If not, what do you suggest? I want something QUIET. Also, need a case. Where can you find the best prices and best selections? I don't want anything fancy. Just a descent looking case under $40 if possible with a power supply. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Start your case shopping here.

The heatsink and fan should be fine if you don't not plan on overclocking, as long as you have a decent flow of air through the case. If you plan on overclocking, I would suggest investing a a new heatsink and fan.

Also, the cooler you want your CPU to run, the more RPMs your fan is going to have to turn, so it's going to be noisier the cooler you try to make the CPU, there's no avoiding that really.

Dammit, he needs a performance processor that is cheap. You should get yourself an AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+, 2500+, or 2600+, which ever fits in your budget. You should pair it with an Abit NF7-S2 and put in some mid-range memory or some basic memory. Then, you can begin to overclock.

this is dumb.....i hate fanboys. The new semprons are faster than the xps,not to mention cheaper in some cases. Check the boards and you will see,sempron IS the one for me :) You done need a amd 64, listen up guys cause you need to get this straight...I PLAYED BATTLEFIELD 2 WITH A SEMPRON 3000 AND A 6600....ON HIGH SETTINGS!!!. you dont need a expensive dumb athlon 64,wait for the price drop

Ignorant Fanboys=Dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom